FFP &a Zero stop under $1000?

I'm looking to upgrade my scope on my 7STW , I would like a FFP and zerostop. I want Moa adjustment and at least 20 power. What is available for around a grand ?

the older vortex pst and the burris XTR II can be had under 1000$ burris currently has a 100$ rebate going on

I have a 6-24x50mm Sightron SIII with FFP. Glass is nice and clear and it tracks very well. The only real issue I have with it is the crosshair virtually disappears in low light conditions when I need to turn the power down. The SIII does not have a zero stop though.

You can easily make a zero stop for and S3 from a plastic washer or there is a guy on Accurate Shooter that machines them for ~$10, I have 2 and they are great.

You can easily make a zero stop for and S3 from a plastic washer or there is a guy on Accurate Shooter that machines them for ~$10, I have 2 and they are great.

Thanks Wedgy, found it and will do the washer trick to my scope. It's actually a very simple solution.

To the OP, I'd definitely look into a Burris XTR II. I just bought one because it has the illuminated reticle in FFP. The glass is every bit as clear as my Sightron, maybe even a bit better. I'll know once I can get them side by side at the range.

To my eyes the sightron siii smokes my Burris xtrs for glass clarity but I still like my Burris but sightron are working good for me everybody's different

As an Athlon dealer, I am admittedly biased. Biased to bring exceptional features and optical quality at exceptional prices to guys I might discuss scopesights with on the net.

That said... The Athlon Helos series was introduced a few weeks ago. This is an HD glass with upper level coatings and dual purpose side parallax turret upgrade of the Athlon Argos BTR which is an excellent scope FFP, Mil-Rad Illum reticle, 30mm tube etc and sells for just under $400.

Worth comparing by taking a look at the Athlon catalog: <www.athlonoptics.com> go to the catalog download link at bottom of main page.

The Helos and Argos BTR scopes come in 6-24x 50mm & 8-34x 56mm obj with matching turret & reticle. Both can be easily setup for zero stop elevation. The Helos at under $600 is comparable to much more expensive scopes, as is the Argos BTR.

This past week, the newest Ares series in 2.5-15x 50mm is supposed to have arrived. These are made in China like the other Athlon products, but are assembled there from Japanese lenses and components made by Light Optical Works. LOW is the firm that makes NightForce and March scopes...

There is also an $1800 Cronus BTR that is 100% Light Optical made entirely in Japan. The Cronus is comparable to S&B PM-II, Kahles Tactical, NF ATACR, Vortex Razor II, and March Tactical.

The Ares 4.5-27x 50mm is slated to be available in Mid-July. The original design shown in the catalog has had a few updates to its feature set. The Ares 2.5-15x sells for just under $800, while the 4.5-27x 50mm will sell for about $850.

All Athlon gear is lifetime transferable warranted and is serviced/repaired at their Olathe KS headquarters.

The Cronus BTR is an exceptional value in top-tier 34mm tube tactical scope, but $1800...

For a Best Value delivery at this moment, the Helos series at under $600 will deliver ALL the features you want plus excellent optic quality. The scope even has a lift-lock turret system which is set to zero by easy removal and repositioning, and can be zero-stopped with a spacer. Great reticle design, fully illuminated, uses a 2032 battery which are sold everywhere these days. The illum dial turns off between settings. The parallax side turret also houses the illum control and battery. There's lots of tube space for mounting even on an AR-10.

The Helos 8-34x 56mm is somewhat limited by its elevation and windage range, but the one I've got and have tested moves 16mils total range and with a 20moa Picatinny rail, can be zeroed so you get ALL your elevation range from your 100yd sight-in. The scope is designed expressly for longrange use. Even comes with flip-up front & rear caps.

Compare the features and value, then try one for yourself.

I will pay a little more and buy Vortex that is assembled in my home state of Wisconsin not China. I'm forced to buy enough of their *#&@

I will pay a little more and buy Vortex that is assembled in my home state of Wisconsin not China. I'm forced to buy enough of their *#&@

Certainly your option, but... my experience was this: When I compared the Athlon Argos BTR with my Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x 50mm illum TMR and Vortex 4-16 50mm PST, the optics were much better on the under $400 Athlon. I sold both the PST Vipers and still intend to sell the Leupold.

The Helos 8-34x is just That Much Better than the Argos series, yet the Argos BTR outclassed both scopes mentioned above in features and optical quality. If anything could be found to a lesser function on the Athlon Argos BTR, it would be the finish. The Vortex and Mk4 do seem a bit better in terms of the finish lustre the scopes have. Doesn't concern me though, the Athlon finish is very functional and If finish were a concern, I would paint the Athlon.

Is the Leupold worth $1300? Is the Votex worth $950? I thought tthe Vortex was an excellent value when I bought it instead of another MK4.

The Helos with much better optics, better reticle design, better illumination controls, and better turret functions sells for $569 for 6-24x 50mm, and $599 for 8-34x 56mm. Choose Mil-Rad or MOA matched turret/reticle for either. All Helos and Argos BTR are FFP type and Helos has the push-lock turret with easy-zero. Both Argos and Helos can be setup for zero-stop with a spacer.

The features and build quality on the Helos are very high standard. That you can buy so much for under $600 from an American optic company and have it serviced-repaired at their headquarters in Kansas is just more advantage. Lifetime Transferable Warranty, no questions or hassle.

Even if there were no savings involved, the Athlon Helos is better and delivers more features.

If you want to spend another $400 to support Americans, send a check or make a donation to your local FOODBANK... Get the Athlon Helos of your choice and spend what you saved on helping local families.
No salaries or payments for administrators. All money goes to buy food. Worth looking into if you really care. You would be amazed at what $400 will buy at your local outlet where the foodbanks shop.

I was "biased" toward Vortex when they introduced the Viper PST with good savings over Leupold mk4... I tried one, and wound up buying two...

Yeah, I'm a dealer for Athlon, but my bias is that Athlon offers more value for less. Lots more value to you for lots less of your money. Also, less money to me than if I was a Leupold or Vortex dealer. Nothing wrong with selling a product that delivers more value to the buyer, is there?

I tried a NightForce NXS 8-32x years ago because all the guys were raving about the optical quality, but the thing was a boat anchor and the optical quality wasn't remarkable; so I sold it.

Leupold mk4 was very lightweight and very usable. The Vortex PST was a little better for several hundred less.
The Athlon Helos BTR is Way Better and about $700 less!

Nothing wrong with "bias" if you arrived at it from evaluation and testing. If my bias is based in fact and buyers can see and experience the improvements in optical performance and features; then it is a Good Thing...

Want to pay $1300 or $1000 and get reduced capabilities? It's your choice. Saving Real Money and getting Real Value these days is pretty rare opportunity, unless you're buying a close-out or discontinued item. Then, you're getting what the mfr couldn't sell anyway... No need to pay more, buy used, or look for a better deal.

That said... The Athlon Helos series was introduced a few weeks ago. This is an HD glass with upper level coatings and dual purpose side parallax turret upgrade .

Hey Edward--

In studying the Athlon website, I could not find where the Helos is using the HD glass. Seems like that comes with the Ares and higher. Can you double check that? The other downside appears to be the small MOA elevation adjustment.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.