Federal legitimizes the .338-08.............

I forgot to add something. Why they dont standardize the 25 souper, or 25-308 is beyond me. I have one on a mauser 98 that I haven't shot yet due to money and die issues, among other problems. But I still got the caliber anyways. You would think it would be better then the .243 win, since its essentially the same thing. With Richards target bullets, or say a 100g btip, it would be just as accurate as the .243 and give us .257" lovers another caliber to play around with. I would think there would be a lot more demand for something like that, then a 338-08.

federal can make all the bullets they want, but what manufacturer is going to chamber it?

Guess I should have checked the link first, Sako.

[ QUOTE ]
mindcrime,

I posted on this recently; didn't get a single response!! You may have now equalled me as joint title-holder of "LRH's least interesting post" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post95836

...I think it looks rather cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

To some this is news. To a few it is good news. On a long range hunting forum I wouldn't expect even a ripple on the pond. A long range cartridge it is not.
Festus

I'm in South Africa and I've always thought that this would be a nice African Bushveld cartridge.

I remember reading an article on .33's in Rifle Shooter some years back and reference was made to Ken Nagel's .33-308 and the ballistics looked promising as a close range (say <150 or even 200 yrds) large antelope calibre.

If our gun laws looked different I would certainly add one to my arsenal for that purpose.

So Festus is right, whilst on a long range forum you may not get too many oohs and aahs, I like it for a specific purpose. But I'm basing that on the numbers, not on the reality of any performance that I've observed.

Wim

I got rid of my .338 win mag because the case wasn't big enough. Actually in testing the 338 had very low penetrating power. I was on a buffalo hunt and several people had to repeatedly shoot the animals to put them down. Shot placement was part of it. The 225 and 250 gr slugs just aren't fast enough compared to their diameter. The 1500 pound animals would just shudder on impact and run off.

At the local range the 338 win mag max loaded could not penetrate 1/2 of mild steel targets @ 200 yards. All you get is big impact craters. But the same targets are easily punched clear through by .277, 284, & .308 out of magnums

So the velocity to diameter ratio has a big effect on penitration. The 338-08 would really suck.

[ QUOTE ]
On a long range hunting forum I wouldn't expect even a ripple on the pond. A long range cartridge it is not.
Festus

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither is a .308 Win shooting 220 gr. Matchkings, but Bruce Artus took out several prarie dogs past 2000 yards with that very combo fired from a custom M70! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Neither is a .308 Win shooting 220 gr. Matchkings, but Bruce Artus took out several prarie dogs past 2000 yards with that very combo fired from a custom M70! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How did he do that trick given they've long been sub-sonic? What scope was he using? Home much pre-cant?
I'm not saying the story is BS, but it's not a very good formula for 2K shooting.

I saw a picture of the gun in the issue of Varmint Hunter magazine when he was the first member to break the 2000 yard line. The forward tilt of the scope was wild. The rear scope mount looked like it was 4 inches tall and the front was 3. I'll bet he couldn't shoot anything inside of 1500 yards and still see it in the scope.

But he did it and he had wittnesses.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts