7mm-08 vs. .338 Federal

I thought that a larger area would require more pressure to get equal acceleration.

Larger diameter does have more friction area per gram of bullet weight but the incremental increase in friction force is a tiny fraction of the additional force available from the increased area. For the same bullet weight, larger area = more force from the same pressure which means more acceleration.

Fitch

Have you looked at the short magnums? I have a 270 WSM that I love. I am also very impressed with the 7MM WSM- some awesome ballistics, and a lot of punch at long range. Either of these would do the job for you.

I load for both a Sako 85 in 338 fed and a Kimber 84M Classic in 7-08 for your purpose I will echo the majority and say the 338 fed. easy to load for, accurate, and plenty of killing power for most game. 7-08 has little recoil and good potential, but for a 7mm I would pick something with a little more umph.

I think the .338 Federal is a great choice for most game up to 300 yards. Yes, it isn't very flat out to 400 yards with a 200 yard zero, but for shooting Moose, Deer and anything else for that matter within reasonable range I don't know many cartridges that will do it better with less meat damage. Is it flat- no. Does it pack two tons of muzzle energy- no. Will it get the job done in a short action with a 22 inch barrel without brutalizing the shooter- yes.

With 180-200 gr premium bullets this round still maintains about 1900 fps at 400 yards with 1500 to 2000 ft lbs of retained energy and with a bullet drop of only 8 to 9 inches at 300 yards- 24 inches at 400 yards with a 200 yard zero- I think I might get me one.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I have a question, not a reply. I have read some of the remarks about the 338 federal and the 7mm08. I have a 7mm08, but am also interested in the 338 Fed. I used to have a 243 Win, and a 308 Win. but sold them in favor of one rifle capable of doing the job of both of those. So now I have room in my budget for one more rifle that will cover the larger stuff. Ruger used to chamber for the 338 Fed., but now they have the 338 RCM. Actually I have two questions. the first is; Who chambers for the 338 Federal cartridge now? Second; What do you guys think of the 338 RCM?

I the first is; Who chambers for the 338 Federal cartridge now? Second; What do you guys think of the 338 RCM?
1. The only rifle I have in 338 Federal is a DPMS LR-338L it's a light AR-10 clone with an 18" barrel. Tikka and Ruger offer bolt actions at least they have fairly recently.
2. The 338 Federal has 57.5 grains case capacity and the 338 RCM has 71 both fit in a standard short action with about the same room for bullets as a 308Win. (not heavy VLDs). What's to think? Both are what they are.

I also have rifles in 338 Win Ma, 338 Norma Mag, 338 Rem Ultra, and 338-378 Weatherby.
Of those only the 338 Win Mag and the 338 Normal mag can shoot VLD's from a 3.6" magazine which is the longest factory Rem 700 and SAKO magazine.
The 338 Win Mag has 86 grains case capacity, the 338 Norma mag has 106.

To say bigger isn't better is blasphemy here on longrangehunting.com. Get a a second opinion from "shortrangehunting.com. Oops, the 338 Spectre and 338 BR are popular with that crowd. Maybe try "mediumrangehuntnig com The 338 Federal and 338 RCM must have a home somewhere. ;-)

I have a Kimber 84M Montana in .338 Fed. I like it for brushy mtn hunting and it only weighs 5.1 lbs (that's w/o a scope). I did put a Leupold 2.5x8 VX-3 on it though, which brought the weight up another pound.

A cut and paste from JBM on the 338 fed,

"200 -4.3 -2.1 3.4 1.6 2246.5 2.012 2072.9 0.246 43.3 20.7"

2072.9 Ft.Lbs @ 200 Yards is Most Definitely nothing to sneeze at!!
Bullet = Barnes 185gr TTSX
Powder = IMR8208XBR
This would be a very temp stable load, which is a good thing when you are in temps as high as Africa gets to. This load above is @ 2650 FPS, which should be pretty easy to attain.

Pardon me, but a full ton of energy at 200 yards is Definitely going to be hard for most critters to just shrug off. As for the 338 RCM, it will reach about 200fps faster across the board than the Federal will, which is certainly nice. I am not posting those numbers as the OP requested advice on the Federal, which in my opinion is a truly nice little HAMMER!

Have a good one,
Gary

LouBoyd - Is it a fair assumption that you are a 338 fan? That's an impressive lineup.

The 338 Federal is one of those rounds that just makes sense to me. I put it in the same category of thinking as the 325 (8mm) WSM but I don't own either. In my neck of the woods (upstate NY) I have all my hunting needs covered with my 45-70 Guide Gun and my 25-06 Ruger #1.

Hi,

Actually, I don't like long range hunting, as it is today. I believe in the 300yd rule. Coming in close to the animal is part of the fun of hunting. Shooting an animal that is standing a half of a mile away is laziness. Walking and staking, is hunting.

Anyway, thank you very much for the information that you gave me. It was informative, (powder capacity of the various cases). Now I have something to use as a barometer.

I like long range target shooting. There, you don't have to chase after a wounded, bleeding target. I believe in a neat, clean kill, with as little inflicted pain as possible.

As for short range hunting, it is very challenging. Coming up on an animal at 30 yds. in dense woods will get your heart pumping. Last year I got mine with my Mini 30 with a 1-4X33 scope. The deer ran around in circles, and I had a time keeping it in my sights. I fired twice, both shots were in and out. I thought that I had missed. But them I found the blood trail. It bled out in 100 ft.

Why are you making fun of the 338 Fed? This is a blog about the 7mm-08 vs the 338 Fed.

Who is making fun of it? I think it is an excellent choice in a hunting rifle. It makes sense, large frontal area bullet, modest powder charge, excellent killing potential, good bullet selection, you can make brass from 308 cases. What's not to like?

Oh...I misunderstood you. I thought that you were poking fun at people that didn't like the very large, long case cartridges. I, myself, do not like belted mag cases. I like the new breed of cases such as the WSM's, and the RSAUM's.

Oh...I misunderstood you. I thought that you were poking fun at people that didn't like the very large, long case cartridges. I, myself, do not like belted mag cases. I like the new breed of cases such as the WSM's, and the RSAUM's.

Personally I like any cartridge which works well for a given applications. Just about every cartridge has some advantege even if it just that it fits the heirloom rifle your grandpa willed you.
This is the longrangehunting website, not the practicalhunting or the reliablehunting website. Use what works....for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.