Federal Fusion loaded hot?

whhood

I have a few boxes of Federal Fusion 150gr for a new to me 300 wsm and they are hot!
Very visible ejector marks and slight heavy bolt lift. I chronoed these at 3325-3350. I pulled a few down and weighed the factory charge at 67 +/-. I reduced the charge a grain at a time until I ended up at 63.0 with no pressure signs that I can see. Is there an issue with the ammo, rifle (headspace, freebore, jump etc). I don't know where else to look beyond powder charge. The cartridges that I reduced were fine. If this is acceptable then I don't mind doing the same to the remaining three boxes of ammo. I'm new to all of this and these are actually the first rounds I've ever fired that have come through my press. Thanks Billy

Having to reduce by 4 grains is a lot. Is this a factory rifle your putting them through? Did you chrono what they ran on the reduced charge? How did the primers look on the factory charge? Ejector marks arent always a sign of pressure but hvy bolt lift certainly is. Quick check on nosler data shows 3300+ fps with 150gr in 300wsm from a 26" bbl.

OK, here it goes and we'll see if I can help, the rifle is new to you, was it a used rifle? If so, clean it very well so as to rule out any major barrel fouling. If it's a clean, stock rifle, meaure the base to ogive of the bullet to make sure the bullet isn't trying to start from a hard jam into the rifling. If I have this correct, the cartridges are factory rounds that you pulled the bullet, reduced the charge and reseated, did you reseat to the same length? When chambering a round does the bolt close easily? I have shot a lot of Speer bullets both the Fusion and Gold Dots (coated) and the Fusion do seem to create pressure faster than others.

The rifle is used. I cleaned the barrel and chamber upon receiving it. Reduced charge ran 3180 +/- 10 fps in 5 rounds. As far as heavy bolt lift goes, I'm not entirely sure how to gauge it. It wasn't terrible imo but these were the only rounds that I have fired out of this rifle and it was more than I'm used to in my 308. Upon further inspection in better light I do have some ejector marks on a couple of the reduced loads. The first image is the factory load. The second is the reduced load.
3525C24D-E338-418C-992C-64972ABAA61D.jpeg
8706C735-9028-4772-AC0F-3EA84E479689.jpeg

From your pictures neither load looks like the primers, or the cartridge case show excessive pressure. I see you are in Florida so temp might increase pressure some. If it makes you sleep easier, I would go with your reduced load, should still be plenty lethal for game.

Ok thanks! Yes Florida. Most of these were fired in the mid 60s and about 15' above sea level if that matters. I didn't feel like that velocity was excessive after looking in my reloading manuals but better safe than sorry. Like I say I'm not sure how much bolt lift is "too" much. I'm not used to seeing any marks on the back of my brass and it probably just got in my head when I saw these ejector marks. I didn't want to blow the rifle up or hurt anybody. Thanks everybody!