federal fusion

capt1340

The Federal Fusion cartridge is rather renowned for deer hunting purposes. In fact, it is designed specifically for whitetail deer hunters. So, what makes it popular? To answer your query, its new bullet technology promises excellent terminal performance hence allowing you to make quick and clean one-shot kills, for a better shooting performance.

This is the kind of things that i read on the net and i dont understand why???
The fusion its suppose to be bonded and solid so better than : power shock, core lokt, power point (win.) etc etc.... so why these 3 ones don't suggest or recommend for a particular game ??..... these fusion are much cheeper than other bonded..??? not the same quality??

I hunt moose so not sure about it but i saw on paper ...7mm mag, 270win, 308 savage, 30-06 ..they are so accurate..!!!

Last edited:
I tried a couple boxes of factory Fusion in a 7 WSM. I was disappointed to say the least. Comparing 3 different factory loadings all the same bullet weight at 500 yards on steel and they hardly remove the paint. Might be a adequate bullet for thin skin game but certainly not for elk or moose

I shot a spike two years ago with federal fusion 180 grain in my .300 win Mag at 300 yards. Neck shot and it dropped like a bag of rocks. Expansion was impressive, didn't recover any neck meat off that side. The brass is surprisingly decent, I'm at 8 reloads with it.

My .300 shoots .3-.5 MOA with the handloads, But with the federal fusion 180's I was lucky to get a 2.5-3" group with 5 shots. That gun just shoots horribly with factory ammo.

Used to shoot them before I got into reloading. They shot the best of any factory ammo I tried in my 300WM. They shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. That rifle hates all factory ammo though. I shot several deer with them at ranges less than 100 yards and they seemed to perform fine. No different than a corelokt or PowerPoint but they were fine nothing special.

Used to shoot them before I got into reloading. They shot the best of any factory ammo I tried in my 300WM. They shot 2 inch groups at 100 yards. That rifle hates all factory ammo though. I shot several deer with them at ranges less than 100 yards and they seemed to perform fine. No different than a corelokt or PowerPoint but they were fine nothing special.

i agree...it may be bonded but nothing like Hornady Interbond or accubond anyway, the tip is like norma oryx...to me they are accurate tough, i wish they would be more solid, they should be fine in a short distance.....

I shot a spike two years ago with federal fusion 180 grain in my .300 win Mag at 300 yards. Neck shot and it dropped like a bag of rocks. Expansion was impressive, didn't recover any neck meat off that side. The brass is surprisingly decent, I'm at 8 reloads with it.

My .300 shoots .3-.5 MOA with the handloads, But with the federal fusion 180's I was lucky to get a 2.5-3" group with 5 shots. That gun just shoots horribly with factory ammo.
that interresting..you see to me 175gr was less than 1 inch on my big 7 but not 150gr. i am a hunter not a sniper so for me 1 inch is excellent....my 308 savage 99E with 165gr. same same....

I tried a couple boxes of factory Fusion in a 7 WSM. I was disappointed to say the least. Comparing 3 different factory loadings all the same bullet weight at 500 yards on steel and they hardly remove the paint. Might be a adequate bullet for thin skin game but certainly not for elk or moose
or maybe because you are using a realy good paint....lolol

its probably a low quality bonded ....that explain the low price...

I just bought a brand new 270win browning x-bolt medaillon., i dont know anything about the .277 so that is why i was asking ,so i will use fusion to practice and hunt with trophy bonded tip 140gr. or i have also Accubond expedition big game long range 150gr..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts