Federal brass

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Joefrazell, Apr 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. wildcat455

wildcat455 Well-Known Member

Well, I think the most useful thing to come out of this thread is this Gif:

View attachment 131803

...which I FULLY intend to steal, and I assure you I will be seen brandishing it about on the forums!

As for Federal brass, yeah a little soft, but dimensionally consistent, didn't pay allot, don't expect allot, and almost have it used up!

FEENIX and xsn10s like this.
  2. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

I'd have someone with chamber gauges check you headspace.

FEENIX likes this.
  3. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

FEENIX likes this.
  4. Dean2

Dean2 Well-Known Member

Have tried to be helpful but clearly we aren't getting the whole, detailed story. If Win brass is showing the same issues then there is something else wrong with the gun, load, bullets etc. Time to get someone who really knows what they are doing to take a first hand look at what is going on. Only so much you can do on a forum when the OP doesn't know enough about what is happening to post full and accurate info..

FEENIX likes this.
  5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Agreed!

6. Gerard Schultz

Gerard Schultz Well-Known Member

7. Joefrazell

Joefrazell Well-Known Member

I didn't originally post about win brass because I just bought a bag and loaded, fired it. It's not a case head separation yet, but a very faint line, cracking in the same area where you see it separate. I'll post a pic later.

8. Joefrazell

Ok the area with the faint line/cracking is in the pic. It does continue around the case for half way around. This happened with every piece of brass from 52.5 gr up through 55. Gr. These are the winchester cases and this was the first firing on them I did run them through the die to straiten up the necks

Attached Files:

9. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Any pics of the Federal brass? I really can't see much on that Winchester brass. Might need a closer picture.

10. Joefrazell

Yeah, it's very hard to see on the pic and in person. It's there but hard to see. I will get a pic of the federal later tonight when I get home. Thanks

xsn10s likes this.
  11. Joefrazell

Alright, I went through some of my older brass from the rifle. I found that most of my brass has very small hairline cracks like in this pic. This is a picture of barnes brass, which was shot with a completely different load. I'm thinking that this rifle definitely has a problem. I'm thinking of buying a couple boxes of factory ammo and seeing if it shows up on those. If it does it does which I'm assuming it probably will, it will be going back to bergara.

Attached Files:

iowaelkbum likes this.
  12. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

A local gunsmith should be able to check headspace for minimal or even no cost. Depends on how much business you do with them.

Joefrazell and iowaelkbum like this.
  13. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

So it seems it is not a Federal brass problem after all. IIWY, I'd at least contact Bergara's customer/tech support and see what they say.

xsn10s likes this.
  14. Joefrazell

I went ahead and bought a couple boxes of factory ammo. Ill shoot it at some point in the next few days. We will see.