Federal brass

Ok so I went out with loads of 52.5, 53, 53.5, 54, 54.5 of same load but in winchester brass. All new cases and they now have severe stress marks like a case head separation. Just cheap brass again? Never has this issue with the rifle wit other bullets. They don't have any other pressure signs
I'd have someone with chamber gauges check you headspace.

Have tried to be helpful but clearly we aren't getting the whole, detailed story. If Win brass is showing the same issues then there is something else wrong with the gun, load, bullets etc. Time to get someone who really knows what they are doing to take a first hand look at what is going on. Only so much you can do on a forum when the OP doesn't know enough about what is happening to post full and accurate info..

Have tried to be helpful but clearly we aren't getting the whole, detailed story. If Win brass is showing the same issues then there is something else wrong with the gun, load, bullets etc. Time to get someone who really knows what they are doing to take a first hand look at what is going on. Only so much you can do on a forum when the OP doesn't know enough about what is happening to post full and accurate info..

Agreed!

I didn't originally post about win brass because I just bought a bag and loaded, fired it. It's not a case head separation yet, but a very faint line, cracking in the same area where you see it separate. I'll post a pic later.

Ok the area with the faint line/cracking is in the pic. It does continue around the case for half way around. This happened with every piece of brass from 52.5 gr up through 55. Gr. These are the winchester cases and this was the first firing on them I did run them through the die to straiten up the necks

Attachments

• 20190426_065313.jpg
    20190426_065313.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 274
Any pics of the Federal brass? I really can't see much on that Winchester brass. Might need a closer picture.

Yeah, it's very hard to see on the pic and in person. It's there but hard to see. I will get a pic of the federal later tonight when I get home. Thanks

Alright, I went through some of my older brass from the rifle. I found that most of my brass has very small hairline cracks like in this pic. This is a picture of barnes brass, which was shot with a completely different load. I'm thinking that this rifle definitely has a problem. I'm thinking of buying a couple boxes of factory ammo and seeing if it shows up on those. If it does it does which I'm assuming it probably will, it will be going back to bergara.

Attachments

• 20190427_064531.jpg
    20190427_064531.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 294
Alright, I went through some of my older brass from the rifle. I found that most of my brass has very small hairline cracks like in this pic. This is a picture of barnes brass, which was shot with a completely different load. I'm thinking that this rifle definitely has a problem. I'm thinking of buying a couple boxes of factory ammo and seeing if it shows up on those. If it does it does which I'm assuming it probably will, it will be going back to bergara.

So it seems it is not a Federal brass problem after all. IIWY, I'd at least contact Bergara's customer/tech support and see what they say.

I went ahead and bought a couple boxes of factory ammo. Ill shoot it at some point in the next few days. We will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.