Fed Primers vs W-W primers

Every rifle is different. I spent Monday afternoon with my friend testing primers in his .308 Win. He wanted to use Federal GMM LR. He shot eight different loads of Varget in fully prepared 172g Lapua brass and had nothing with a SD better than 22fps. I finally talked him into just trying CCI BR and Winchester LR with the load that printed best. CCI BR dropped the SD to 13 and shot .6MOA. The Winchester LR went 9 and also printed .6MOA. IIRC the load using CCI BR was touch faster than his FederalGMM and the Winchester LR was a touch slower.
I have other rifles that just don't seem to mind what primer I use in them at all. Others rifles that have gone from 2MOA with SD over 50 to .7 and single digit SD just switching primers. YMMV

Every rifle is different. I spent Monday afternoon with my friend testing primers in his .308 Win. He wanted to use Federal GMM LR. He shot eight different loads of Varget in fully prepared 172g Lapua brass and had nothing with a SD better than 22fps. I finally talked him into just trying CCI BR and Winchester LR with the load that printed best. CCI BR dropped the SD to 13 and shot .6MOA. The Winchester LR went 9 and also printed .6MOA. IIRC the load using CCI BR was touch faster than his FederalGMM and the Winchester LR was a touch slower.
I have other rifles that just don't seem to mind what primer I use in them at all. Others rifles that have gone from 2MOA with SD over 50 to .7 and single digit SD just switching primers. YMMV

I don't want to get off topic but tell him to try Imr4064 and Br2 and see if his 308 likes that. Just a suggestion.

I like Federal and Winchester primers. I can't stand CCIs. Winchester primers give me a higher velocity in several different rifles/calibers than Federal.

I don't want to get off topic but tell him to try Imr4064 and Br2 and see if his 308 likes that. Just a suggestion.

Funny that you mention that. I am working with IMR 4166 in my 308. I like what I'm seeing so far.
Did you connect anything with your 264 yet?

Last edited:
I like Federal and Winchester primers. I can't stand CCIs. Winchester primers give me a higher velocity in several different rifles/calibers than Federal.

I have learned to extinguish my brand loyalties and biases, they don't make my rifle shoot any better or worse. When I first started reloading I 'only' used certain brands of powder, primers, bullets, cases and primers. If my rifle wouldn't shoot that, I sold it. I was wrong. Run what your rifle shoots most consistently and accurately with and let the guys at the range or at deer camp argue with the end result.

I have learned to extinguish my brand loyalties and biases, they don't make my rifle shoot any better or worse. When I first started reloading I 'only' used certain brands of powder, primers, bullets, cases and primers. If my rifle wouldn't shoot that, I sold it. I was wrong. Run what your rifle shoots most consistently and accurately with and let the guys at the range or at deer camp argue with the end result.

Exactly. Those companies don't care if an individual customer lives or dies. Discover what the rifle likes and go with it.

The rifles I load for don't like CCIs, therefore, I don't like CCI primers. It's not a brand loyalty thing, it's an accuracy and velocity thing.

Did you connect anything with your 264 yet?

No sir. I'm in TN right now with a new 300wsm that is just infallible :D gun) Hopefully I will be bringing the 264 on my next trip in December.
Just so I stay on topic, its using 210M primers.

CCI is my main primer with WIN being my backup's.
I have been using win primers for years. I have just started to use CCI 200 and found with loose primer pockets with the win's that CCI will fit tight. On some powders the win primer worked better, IMR 4831. I just order some CCI BR-2 ,could not any Federal Gold match anywhere.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.