Favorite Wild Game Meal

If my wife cooks this is my favorite,
Venison cubed steak w/rice and gravy
Black eyed peas
Fried collard greens (blanched then fried in bacon fat)
And cornbread

Attachments

• 6189.jpeg
    6189.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 27
My wife fiddled around with the elk meatloaf, and started mixed it about 10% crumbled bacon, added sweet bbq sauce with light mayo mix on top.
Instead of cooking it in a standard pan she's beeing cooking them in a muffin tins.
Its good, but it's funny how a little change like muffin tin changes the kids perception.
They demolish the meal now.

Thought I'd start a new thread, what's everyone's favorite way to cook wild game?
I'll go first. My favorite wild game meal is probably poppers. Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, a piece of venison, wrapped in bacon and smoked. It's a toss up between that or chicken fried venison steak.
Useless without pictures.gif

Cut back strap into thin slices. Flash fry it, and set the meat aside. Drain any liquid from the pan. Make two to three cups of brown gravy from a mix. sweet onions and mushrooms sliced. Peppers if you like them, I don't on this dish. Salt and pepper to taste , i add a little garlic powder. Mix it all back together and simmer. Toast sub rolls or Texas toast. Add oven baked French fries. Open faced sandwiches and French fries. Dang I need to thaw some back strap.

Venison tenderloin and Pike. Both sautéed in butter.
If my wife cooks this is my favorite,
Venison cubed steak w/rice and gravy
Black eyed peas
Fried collard greens (blanched then fried in bacon fat)
And cornbread
Didn't look to see where you lived, but you have to have lived in the south at some point.

Gday
Hmmm so many favourite hard to choose

Here's one i do like & holds a special place in my heart

Jacketed wallaby roll

This involves taking the hind quarters of a small wallaby around 4 lb boning out add a couple pepper berry leaves 3 or 4 knobs of butter ( that was a luxury as most time was a bit of dripping as out in bush it's hard to get butter lol ) to the inside part of the quarters

Then get a larger wallaby of around 20 lbs & skin out then wrap the meat in this skin ( a special way to wrap I was shown by a old bushman /trapper ) fur side out
Then put in campfire coals & cook for around 1/2 hr ( make some damper dough & put it on a 1&1/2 to 2 in stick creating a for better words a cup , pull out wallaby from coals & rest while damper is cooking once that's cooked then take skin off or what's left of if if your coals are too hot lol
( a cottonwood or sheoak are the better Timbers to use Blackwood is not advisable as coals retain to much heat )

Serve pull the damper off the stick stuff the damper with the wallaby & pour gravey in the end to one's liking

was always washed down with a billy tea with the old bloke I learnt that off but today I love to wash it down with a bundy or whiskey & raise my can or glass to him for showing me the fruits of life in our backyard

Cheersd

Gday
Hmmm so many favourite hard to choose

Here's one i do like & holds a special place in my heart

Jacketed wallaby roll

This involves taking the hind quarters of a small wallaby around 4 lb boning out add a couple pepper berry leaves 3 or 4 knobs of butter ( that was a luxury as most time was a bit of dripping as out in bush it's hard to get butter lol ) to the inside part of the quarters

Then get a larger wallaby of around 20 lbs & skin out then wrap the meat in this skin ( a special way to wrap I was shown by a old bushman /trapper ) fur side out
Then put in campfire coals & cook for around 1/2 hr ( make some damper dough & put it on a 1&1/2 to 2 in stick creating a for better words a cup , pull out wallaby from coals & rest while damper is cooking once that's cooked then take skin off or what's left of if if your coals are too hot lol
( a cottonwood or sheoak are the better Timbers to use Blackwood is not advisable as coals retain to much heat )

Serve pull the damper off the stick stuff the damper with the wallaby & pour gravey in the end to one's liking

was always washed down with a billy tea with the old bloke I learnt that off but today I love to wash it down with a bundy or whiskey & raise my can or glass to him for showing me the fruits of life in our backyard

Cheers
I'd love to try that!

Recent Posts