Favorite Wild Game Meal

The_Whitetail_kid

Thought I'd start a new thread, what's everyone's favorite way to cook wild game?
I'll go first. My favorite wild game meal is probably poppers. Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, a piece of venison, wrapped in bacon and smoked. It's a toss up between that or chicken fried venison steak.

Gday
Hmmm so many favourite hard to choose

Here's one i do like & holds a special place in my heart

Jacketed wallaby roll

This involves taking the hind quarters of a small wallaby around 4 lb boning out add a couple pepper berry leaves 3 or 4 knobs of butter ( that was a luxury as most time was a bit of dripping as out in bush it's hard to get butter lol ) to the inside part of the quarters

Then get a larger wallaby of around 20 lbs & skin out then wrap the meat in this skin ( a special way to wrap I was shown by a old bushman /trapper ) fur side out
Then put in campfire coals & cook for around 1/2 hr ( make some damper dough & put it on a 1&1/2 to 2 in stick creating a for better words a cup , pull out wallaby from coals & rest while damper is cooking once that's cooked then take skin off or what's left of if if your coals are too hot lol
( a cottonwood or sheoak are the better Timbers to use Blackwood is not advisable as coals retain to much heat )

Serve pull the damper off the stick stuff the damper with the wallaby & pour gravey in the end to one's liking

was always washed down with a billy tea with the old bloke I learnt that off but today I love to wash it down with a bundy or whiskey & raise my can or glass to him for showing me the fruits of life in our backyard

Cheers

Backstrap or tenderloin seared hot and fast. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I did just try my hand at making homemade pastrami from some whitetail and it turned out fantastic. Will definitely be doing more.

IMG_4357.jpeg

Backstrap or tenderloin seared hot and fast. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

I did just try my hand at making homemade pastrami from some whitetail and it turned out fantastic. Will definitely be doing more.

View attachment 538226
This ^^^^ and that's how my wife likes duck, seared and baked for 6-8 minutes with smoked garlic, salt n pepper.

Thought I'd start a new thread, what's everyone's favorite way to cook wild game?
I'll go first. My favorite wild game meal is probably poppers. Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, a piece of venison, wrapped in bacon and smoked. It's a toss up between that or chicken fried venison steak.
I have shared most of mine in this forum.

I like it all. My favorite is mood dependent so I have a few. I too like (taste) to keep it simple, so I don't always try complex recipes.

I like elk tenderloin. I salt, pepper, and add a hint of onion powder, paprika and crushed garlic in a baggy. Like a dry marinade. Light up a wood grill, and throw the tenderloins on and flip around every 2 minutes or so until it's visually a medium rare. I don't use a prob for this.

Another I like is a venison rear quarter tomahawk style. This I smoke on the pellet grill. I use a couple of different brines and inject it. Do that and let it sit over night. Then take it out, pat it off, and add some Montreal seasoning. Salt, pepper and onion powder or traeger anything rub which is pretty much the same thing is great too. Cook on 180 until hit hits 130. No more. Takes 3-5 hours depending on the meat. Mule Deer I kill in the sage fields tend to taste the best to me when doing this style roast.

I got a ton more.

Gday
Here's partly a new favourite
Black Swan
Cape Barron goose
Peacock
& turkey

The turkey tastes good but tough so not a real fan the other 3 very nice

Tried a couple different marinade methods on this cookup for around 2 hours prior to cook up & only breasts
Buttermilk on 1/2 of the 4 meats
Yogurt on the other 1/2

Cooked in a medium oven until cooked (around 20 minutes)

Served with home grown sides
Just a easy meal overall but tasty
DB0DCC90-FFA5-4340-B4F5-A873F8654FE6.jpegB9767D2E-16E0-437B-9F30-F29D665BD633.jpeg

Cheers

My award winning Big Buck Chili... Made with Deer, Elk and Bison

Elk burgers made with Wagyu beef fat!!!

Deep fried wild (YOUNG) turkey!!!

Fresh Snake River deep fried catfish nuggets!!!

Grouse parmesan / Grouse Cordon Bleu

What we call "shirt pocket trout" these are little Bows, Browns, and Brookies roughly 8-10" we catch clean and cook right on the rivers / streams, not the same if you bring em home... I could go on for hours.