First sous vide meal ...

... a skirt steak marinated overnight with gourmet burger blend spice, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, chili pepper, and paprika. Sous vide for 5 hours at 118F then pan-fried. It's what's for dinner ...

View attachment 170385 View attachment 170386 View attachment 170387 View attachment 170388 View attachment 170389
Not bad at all. The well done is the wife's. :D
My Son is a Chef at an upscale Detroit Steakhouse. It's amazing how many ways he cooks steak that I would never thought would be good for a piece of expensive beef. This Sous vide method is one of them. Several years ago he was up at the house and mentioned this method asking if I'd tried it yet. He has the heater unit and a huge water tub for this process and does this in large meat quantities for big dinners. I didn't have anything except a cooler and stove to heat water on. We heated water to the 130° mark and filled the cooler halfway. Placed the vacuum sealed Ribeyes in the cooler and kept adding water to maintain that 130° for about 1.5-2 hours. He seared the Ribeyes in a cast iron skillet at about 500° for a few seconds on each side when we pulled them from the bath. I never would have imagined a ribeye that tender and juicy that just came from a water bath. Amazing. I've been cooking that way often since with chicken, beef, venison and pork. I now own the timed heating unit and water tub. He opened my mind to this cooking world and also helped me gain a few pounds.

... a skirt steak marinated overnight with gourmet burger blend spice, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, chili pepper, and paprika. Sous vide for 5 hours at 118F then pan-fried. It's what's for dinner ...

View attachment 170385 View attachment 170386 View attachment 170387 View attachment 170388 View attachment 170389
Not bad at all. The well done is the wife's. :D
Awesome FEENIX! A friend got us started in sous vide last year. The ease of going right from a marinated, vacuum sealed cut of meat to timed sous vide is wonderful. Bon appetit

Looks delicious. We love our sous vide cooker. We use it 3-4 times a week. Best way to consistently get perfect juicy steaks. Roast are amazing and end up like prime rib. We use it for brats also. Ended up buying a torch for it. Works better than a searing em in a skillet w butter or on the grill. Doesn't splatter and spit butter everywhere lol. Everyone loves coming over to our place for dinner.

My Son is a Chef at an upscale Detroit Steakhouse. It's amazing how many ways he cooks steak that I would never thought would be good for a piece of expensive beef. This Sous vide method is one of them. Several years ago he was up at the house and mentioned this method asking if I'd tried it yet. He has the heater unit and a huge water tub for this process and does this in large meat quantities for big dinners. I didn't have anything except a cooler and stove to heat water on. We heated water to the 130° mark and filled the cooler halfway. Placed the vacuum sealed Ribeyes in the cooler and kept adding water to maintain that 130° for about 1.5-2 hours. He seared the Ribeyes in a cast iron skillet at about 500° for a few seconds on each side when we pulled them from the bath. I never would have imagined a ribeye that tender and juicy that just came from a water bath. Amazing. I've been cooking that way often since with chicken, beef, venison and pork. I now own the timed heating unit and water tub. He opened my mind to this cooking world and also helped me gain a few pounds.

For anyone interested in trying it on the cheap:

I have a small sous vide machine, but for big stuff (this was actually what I bought to try it because it was so cheap....) I use an external pid temp controller (search rainbird pid on Amazon ~$30) and an electric roaster that I picked up for $5 at a garage sale. Works just as good as the $150 small unit lol.

If you have an older crockpot that just has the regular nob to set heat you could use that too. Just as long as it could be unplugged and plugged back in and still stay on its previous temp setting.

Its honestly my favorite way to do pork, especially store bought pork since the fat content is so low. You literally can not dry it out, and it comes out perfect.

For anyone interested in trying it on the cheap:

I have a small sous vide machine, but for big stuff (this was actually what I bought to try it because it was so cheap....) I use an external pid temp controller (search rainbird pid on Amazon ~$30) and an electric roaster that I picked up for $5 at a garage sale. Works just as good as the $150 small unit lol.

If you have an older crockpot that just has the regular nob to set heat you could use that too. Just as long as it could be unplugged and plugged back in and still stay on its previous temp setting.

Its honestly my favorite way to do pork, especially store bought pork since the fat content is so low. You literally can not dry it out, and it comes out perfect.
I bought an Anova Nano for my sous vide unit. Purchased a plastic sous vide water tub with fitted lid for the unit I purchased. You can actually fit a whole bone in Rib loin in this tub. I do like the unit FEENIX used. Looks perfect for a family sized meal.

Try finding some ribeye cap ( spinalis dorsi). Probably the best piece you'll get from the cow. Problem is, there's only two pieces per cow. This time of year they go for around 100.00 ea at least. Grilling season causes this increase in price. Kinda reminds me of the Skirt steak. It's not thick and doesn't take long to cook. Seared on each side for a minute or so and serve. Fairway meat packing in Detroit is where I usually order from. They offer the finest of meat products.

Try finding some ribeye cap ( spinalis dorsi). Probably the best piece you'll get from the cow. Problem is, there's only two pieces per cow. This time of year they go for around 100.00 ea at least. Grilling season causes this increase in price. Kinda reminds me of the Skirt steak. It's not thick and doesn't take long to cook. Seared on each side for a minute or so and serve. Fairway meat packing in Detroit is where I usually order from. They offer the finest of meat products.
Last one I bought was from Snake River Farms. They have probably the most marbled cap I've ever had. Excellent.

Last one I bought was from Snake River Farms. They have probably the most marbled cap I've ever had. Excellent.

Man, you guys are making me a little jealous... Really good fresh beef is kinda hard to come by in AK, and anything mail ordered is either frozen or needs to be used immediately or it goes bad

I love mine. Been doing it for 3 years or so. My favorite is buying the cheapest roast one can find, season it like a prime rib and cook it for 24 hours at 129. Sear in the oven at 500 for 20 minutes and it's as good as prime rib with no fat.

I marinade a lot of my pheasant and grouse and cook that way- makes for wonderfully tender game bird. My family is fond of Indian Jalfreezi sauce- so I'll take the breasts and cut them into slices, add the the legs and thighs and brown first, then seal in a bag with the sauce and let it marinade then cook it. Nice spicy meal over rice or couscous.

Last edited:
Last one I bought was from Snake River Farms. They have probably the most marbled cap I've ever had. Excellent

Man, you guys are making me a little jealous... Really good fresh beef is kinda hard to come by in AK, and anything mail ordered is either frozen or needs to be used immediately or it goes bad
I've received mine next day. Not frozen but fresh and packed very well in 3" thick foam. Ice is still solid. Not sure about AK for shipping. I'd guess they can make it happen. I don't do it often as it's not cheap. Once or twice a year for a family event. Father's day, Mother's day, etc. Nice change from the norm.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.