What's your favorite game meat?

My FIL went to the King Ranch hunting them for several years in the mid 90s, back when it was cheaper. He also hunted some other properties. Mostly around Brownsville.

Have fun,
Brian

I had elk medallions while in Estes Park, Colorado and it was by far the best cut of meat I have ever eaten. I had several slices of buffalo roast while stationed at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona and it was quite good as well.

We have a wild game feed at our church every year - this year 328 men and 39 kids under 12. The big hits this year were the 2 whole wild boars we roasted, venison roast that was smoked for six hours then spent 8 hours in a roaster slow cooking in onion soup mix and pheasant wild rice soup.

I would have to say caribou and elk. Caribou has a little bit of an edge over the elk simply because I froze my butt off for a week to get it! I've never elk hunted (one day I will!), but my uncle goes every year and he had some for us. Venison is hit or miss with me whether or not I shot it. Sometimes it's just not that great no matter what you do to the meat to tenderize or season it, at least in my opinion anyways.

A number of years ago we had a company Christmas party. Nicey, nice kinda of place. Nobody would try the ostrich, so I bravely stepped up and ordered it. Now I'm not a big fan of the birdie type game, but this meat was oh so tender and didn't taste like chicken. Reminded me of beef with a hint of venison in it. Very good eats.

When I'm dying to get to the woods, but it's late winter/early spring, I take venison chops and go snowshoeing. About lunchtime I stop and cook them kind of rare, yum, yum.
I like AJ's answer the best though.

Buffalo or Elk roast in campfire cast iron pot cover in onions and mushroom soup. let the roast baste in either beer or scotch for two hours. i gaurantee you will have to fight the rest of the guys for left overs. also a nice bsated wild hog using a mustard based BBQ
thats how we do it in the south BBQ

Chicken fried Whitetail backstrap and cream gravy. Pecan smoked wild turkey breast right behind it. My turkey baste starts with Lone Star or Texas Pride.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.