favorite varmit cartridge.

screech

I want to see what you're favorite varmit cartridge is and why. For instance mine is a 243, good bcs and good velocity for a good splat factor on chucks and squirles. Second would have to be a 22-250 for chucks and squirles. Easy to load for and you get some major splat factor on squirles and chucks. Just dosen't buck the wind as well as the 6mm. Pics are cool to. You always got to love pics.

I love my 22-243 ackley 30 inch benchmark barrel 8 twist with the 80 grain a-max at 3650 Fps for varmints. I have had all the big hammers and everything inbetween abd its one of my favorites. The ballistics out to a 1000 are great no recoil good killer and doubles as legit 500 yard deer caliber.

Thats a tough one screech. I really like my .222 for ranges out to 300 yards on squirrels and such, but for longer range shooting it just dont cut it. I like the 25-06 for long range varminting, but I admit its a little on the heavy side. 6mm bores are pretty good at being a good varmint rifle. I to would probly go with the 243 or 243 AI. However, to me theres 2 types of varmints and varminting which would require 2 different rifles. THeres short/long range shooting, then there squirrels/coyotes. I'd take a 222/223 for 300-400 yards at most, then switch to the 243 for anything past that.

For walkabout/quiet snipeing its hard to beat the HMR
June11%20006.jpg

Most rounds fired,the 223(all 5 of them)Great round and cheap to load for
22307.jpg

Best red mist factor goes to the 243 shootin 55grain Noslers.shoots like a lazer and vaporizes for quick humane kills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Video
The 6.5 and 6-284 do a great job of putting them down past 500 yards.Gota luve an accurate long range unit!!
pupsbulet.jpg

DSCF0005_1.JPG

Oh, also got to add a old fashioned 22lr for normal under 100yrd ground squirle gun. I dont know how much stuff has died with a good shooting 22 and the old fashioned cheap hollow points.

6MMx284-with-87grn-V-Max-traveling-at-3750-fps

220-Swift-with-40grn-Ballistic-Tip-at-4300-fps.

I'm with reed mosser on this one. There is no cartridge that I enjoy more than the 22-243AI for splatting varmints. Big and small it splatts them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
347921.jpg

Varmint hunter: love that stock. Do you have more pictures of it?

How is it for off hand shots?

Well for true varmints, I would probably go with my old MDL 70 in 243. Loaded with the 85 or 95 gr BT it rocks. However, I have taken more critters of the vermin type using my 25-06 than anything else I have. From 20yds to 400+ it served me well through the years I had posesssion of it. Now my daughter has it and I hope it serves her as well.

Of course varmints around our stomping grounds are a bit different than most of yours. As such I would have to say that other than the 25, my Ruger Compact in .308 has picked up where the 25 left off. I have taken several coyotes in close with it as well as several fair sized hogs out further than I really imagined it would drop them. However, when they present a target, I will send something their way. Here are a few that have fallen to the .308,

A quick 45 minute hunt down by the gravel pit,
509709753RhJSVx_fs.jpg

First long range hog with the 308, just over 280 yds. in the last minutes of light,
58268608pccZpV_ph.jpg

A very mangy yote, hey remingtonman_25_06, ya think those 17 caliber fellows would have wanted this one's pelt as well?
FullSize.jpg

cool pics of pigs but there is no way i would even touch that yote. I dont even know if I would have recognized it as one unless you said it was.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.