Favorite powder for the 25-06 Remington.

redsnow

Guys, I've been out of the reloading business for a while, around 15 years (my daughter took over my loading room, as a darned bedroom) Had to take it all down. Now she's at college, I'm taking it back. And a lot has changed in those 15 years.

Tell you what I'm looking for, I need to work up a load for my 25-06's. I have 2, both M700's with 24" barrels. One varmint, the other is a Classic.

I've picked out 2 different bullets that I'm going to try. The 100 gr Nosler Partition, and the 100 gr Nosler E-Tip. I'm looking for a load for whitetails.

The powder I loaded before was WW-760, with 90 gr Sierra HPBT bullets. I have a good, accurate load, but I'm looking for a little more penetration. (I'll keep my old load for varmints.)

I'm just curious what you guys would recommend. Thanks in advance.

My Model 70 seems to like R-22 and I've always heard IMR-4831 is the go to powder the 25-06. I haven't tried it myself.

I'm in the process of trying H-4831sc with some 100 gr. Hornady Interlocks, but I can't say it's been a success yet.

I have the best results with RE25, but RE22, H1000 and Retumbo also give very good results.
I never got good results with 4831, so no longer use it in anything.

Cheers.
gun)

For my vanguard IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 work with for the Hor. 117gn interlocks and the Nos. 85gn BTs. I am working up a load for the Barnes 115gn. TSX using H4831SC but havent shot it yet. I would suggest looking at the Nosler web page and try their "best load" for the bullets you have suggested, not a gurrentee of course, but a good place to start......E

I have never worked with the mono bullets but with the 100 gr cup and core and the Partition specifically it is hard to go wrong with IMR 4350. Work up to it but 52 grs IMR 4350 usually shoots 100 gr bullets in little bitty groups and depending on the rifle runs 3200 to 3300 fps.

25/06 has been my favorite for whitetails since I started rifle shooting. I have two, a Savage 110 Varmint weight and an early Vanguard Synthetic. Both like IMR4831.
The Savage shoots Sierra 90gr BlitzKings out to 400+yds on prairie dog towns and the Vanguard shoots 100gr Partitions sub=MOA out to 300yds. Neither liked a max load.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I have two. Both use the 110 gr Nos. AB. One goes with H4831 and the other likes RL-19. Both print sub-moa groups.

The RL-19 load is 54 grains.

I know that powders have changed over the years, but the only powders I've used in my 25-06 were ww760 and H4??? I'm not sure?

I checked on Nosler's "load chart", data and neither powder was listed in their tests. I know that they'll work, and both powders are listed/tested with heavier bullets. I'll probably be shooting 110gr or 115 grain bullets. I was looking for 100 gr Partitions, they seem to be hard to find.

I'm just looking for one charge, that's not going to change velocity much, if it's 70* or if it's Zero degrees.

my 25-06 liked the berger 115s in front of 59.5 grns of IMR4350.

Just a recommendation but I'de stay away from the Etips. I don't think I've seen where anybody has gotten them to shoot. I think I still have some if you want to try them. I'll be glad to box em up and send em your way(I think I chunked the box in the trash). It'll beat you having to waste the money to see if they will shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.