Favorite powder for the 300WM?

regarding the magnum primer question. I have always used Win. large rifle 8½ primers in my 300WinMag. I think that in some cases, a magnum primer works against slower propellants.

Good hunting. LB

Chrono will tell you why. Normally much higher ES and SD with magnum primers vs standard.

Just because the case is a magnum does not always mean it is better to use magnum primers.

Another reason why a chrono is an essential tool for extreme accuracy. Helps separate truth from "assumptions".

BH

[ QUOTE ]
Just because the case is a magnum does not always mean it is better to use magnum primers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My information seems to be trending in that direction also.

[ QUOTE ]
I have used H4831 forever, still puts 5 into 3/4ths inch groups. If I was starting out, I would have to try R22.

Good hunting. LB

[/ QUOTE ]

.750 at what distance ?

Actionshooter , hey guy ,

I really don't know what is my favorite powder at this point and I have been at it on this caliber for a little over a year . By that I mean using the techniques and tips gleaned from this site and some others .

I have tried h1000, rl 22, h4831 , h4350, 190 smks , 210 wc's , 220 smks . Out to as far as 875 yds.

Tests are not finished and they are not conclusive but the most accurate load so far is re22 73.2 grs. under a 190 smk. That may be about to change as a load using the 210 gr wildcats and 78.8 gr. h1000 is poised to kick some but in the accuracy annd velocity department . Down range figures look to surpass my 220 smk over a charge of 75 grs of h1000@ 2800 fps .

Daaaang !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif , well anyway , thats alll at this point but I'm working daily to come up with more data .

With Berger 190 VLDs over 74 gr RL22 RP9.5M were the best
with 190 SMKs over 69 gr IMR 4350 GM210M were the best
with 175 SMKs over 83 gr H1000 CCI BR2 were the best
with Berger 175 VLDs over 83 gr H1000 RP9.5M were the best

I guess the point I am trying to make is, try them all. I will go back and try CCI 200s, WLR and Fed 210s again in some of the loads to see if I can get improvement.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.