favorite powder for 45-70 modern loads?

I made the mistake of loading some 405 Hornadys for my Ruger No.1 45-70, OMG!

I Don't know if it was the powder or the pill, my shoulder still hurts from 20 years ago.

Loaded that bullet with another powder and it wasn't that bad.

Short answer, don't use 3031 with heavy bullets, lol
3031 is all I use in my 45-70 Sharps. I just use a light load and it works great.

Let me start off by saying sorry, if I upset anybody, but a 4570 has a rainbow arc of trajectory. If you want something flat get a 30-06. Don't get me wrong. I was a recoil junkie when I was much much younger these days. My shoulder doesn't like it. I have a Marlin 1895 and a Winchester 1886, the Winchester with the crescent butt plate, it'll handle anything I feed it. but the Crescent butt plate and my shoulder have serious disagreements with the heavier loads. Now what I've said that the load that I use these days is somewhere between 36 and 44 grains of either 4198 or 3031. This will get you somewhere between 1300 and 1450 fps on the upper end out of the Winchester being a 10 pound gun, the 1450 feet per second it's comfortable, they are accurate. There is a Vernier Tang site on the Winchester and I can shoot out to 500 yd. But reality check most deer hunting situations are under a 100 yd. But I've also taken deer out to 200 yds no problem, and it will knock a deer down with a softer alloy or jacketed hollow point. That's just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps if you like the harder shooting ones fine. You want something softer and easier? Also fine, but just remember, the 4570 came out in the later part of the 1800s and it can take a buffalo. So I think the round is plenty stout enough. Again, just my 2 cents worth. Hope that helps.
Well... a plug for the 30-06! I agree with you on the mortar round. For a hunting rifle out to 200 yards the 45-70 rifle works for me, after that I find the 45-70 to be a hail Mary shot. With the 300 grain Barnes TSX FB, and sighted POA at 50 yards we're getting around an inch low at 100, and 12-13 inches low at 200. I tamed my 1895 Marlin with a KickEez recoil pad. It was sacrilege for me to cut that stock and fit a recoil pad on it, but.. it was either that or make the rifle a safe queen. We black bear hunt over bait with ours. The guides like us a lot, "one and done". We also have two Marlin 444s, a 1970 and 1971 vintage, the rifles are 90%+. These rifles will rattle your teeth loose. The recoil is so intense that it broke my lead-sled. I believe it is that Monte Carlo stock on this rifle. SO... in order to shoot it I am using some 240gr, hard cast, gas check bullets. This makes these rifles a dream to shoot.

30 grains of either of those powders in a 460 S&W will get a Guy near 55,000 psi, not a likely powder to use in a 45-70 case.
Ive been using it for mouse fart loads (no I wont share) with 250 grain LFNs. Accuracy is really good, no pressure signs but I am using wadding to get it in place

Safe bet that whatever works well in smaller capacity cases such as 223 will also work well in the 4570. I happen to use a Varget and IMR3031 the most. I like Reloader 7 too but not at $80/lb.

Safe bet that whatever works well in smaller capacity cases such as 223 will also work well in the 4570. I happen to use a Varget and IMR3031 the most. I like Reloader 7 too but not at $80/lb.
Reloader # 7 is only $57 bucks a pound @ Powder Valley. Five pounders for $285.

Ive been using it for mouse fart loads (no I wont share) with 250 grain LFNs. Accuracy is really good, no pressure signs but I am using wadding to get it in place
Woundn't encourage others to try Pistol powders in a 45-70 cartridge, just a bad idea.