Favorite powder for 300 win?

For the Winchester 300 Magnum shooting 180 grain bullets, more specifically the 181 grain Hammer bullet, the powder of choice is Reloader 17. Reloader 17 is my powder of choice for my 270WSM and 300 Winchester Magnum, as well as my 7x57. Compared to H4350 and H4831, I realize a 50-100 fps advantage. While Reloader 17 is temperature sensitive as long as you're taking that into account it's difficult to find a more accurate and efficient powder.

If you review the Alliant reloaders site, they recommend spear BTSP 180 bullets using 48.7 grains of Reoader 17 together with Federal 210 primers for an optimum load. H4350 is a great powder but you realize about 75 fps higher using RL17.

The best medicine I've found is RL17 with the Hammer bullets. The accuracy with the Hammers combined with RL17 is fantastic. I'm using this combination with my 270WSM this October when I travel to Africa. With ten animals in ten days I'm going to need a highly accurate load. The last thing I want to do is spend time tracking. Right now I'm getting .4-.5 MOA with this load. I'm using 145 grain Sledge Hammers in my 270WSM.
It's a great weight bullet for the 270WSM when shooting Elk sized antelope game. The only animal I'll change rifles for is the Eland. THey can be as much as 2,000 pounds. For the Eland I'll change over to my 338 Federal, shooting 225 grain Hammers, again using the RL17. You need at least a 338 bullet when shooting a 2,000 pound animal, the 270 is marginal at best for this sized game. A lot of people don't realize that an Eland weighs more than a Cape Buffalo. I'll probably use the 338 Federal for the Zebra as well. I'm not a fan of using small bullets on game. They deserve a quick and efficient kill.

Last edited:
If you review the Alliant reloaders site, they recommend spear BTSP 180 bullets using 48.7 grains of Reoader 17 together with Federal 210 primers for an optimum load.
Sounds more like what I would run in a .308 win, not the .300 WinMag. Did you mean 68 grains?

H1000,4831,7828,RL22,retumbo.try which ever one of these is in stock at your LSG store. Or buy them all while there availability is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.