Favorite Hunting clothing brand advice!!!

I have extensive experience with all three of those and own or have owned entire kits from the socks and boxers all the way to insulation and waterproof rain/snow jackets and pants. Without going into all the personal and professional reasons why I have some brand affinity over others, my advice would be to see what fits you best and is the most comfortable. When I'm hunting, I live in my clothing and gear for extended periods of time as someone who primarily backpack hunts or goes in by horse occasionally. My kit has to be comfortable, fit well, and keep me warm, cool, or dry depending on the conditions. First Lite is my go-to now for 90% of all of my hunting and I use it for skiing, hiking, working out, and just about everything else in my life. I think their wool is better than Kuiu's (it's more comfortable and durable from my experience). I think Kuiu's outerwear is superior to anything else on the market, however (the Guide DCS softshell jacket and vest are a marvel and all their waterproof gear and insulation layers are also incredible). I like the First Lite waterproof jackets and pants too but they are not nearly as lightweight and packable. Kuiu has evolved and added onto their product line significantly so I can't speak to their new stuff but I was fully kitted out in the original Verde pattern and picked up a few things in the Verde 2.0 pattern later. I love their gloves and the Attack pants too BUT I also love the First Lite pants and they have more options that suit my hunting needs in the West (primarily CO but also hunt ID, WY, AZ, NV, and NM). I have the Corrugate Guide, Obsidian Foundry, and Catalyst Foundary pants to meet all my needs. The Obsidian Merino pants are also amazing but not built for sliding down rocks or busting through thick cover - I love them for warm weather hunts and first came to love First Lite because of their wool pants back in the early days (they called the wool pants something different back then). Now for Sitka - I like all of my gear in the Sitka kit and it will do anything, any time, in any season. I just don't like the fit as much because they seem more tailored to fit the largest majority of body types which makes sense given the scale at which they operate but it also feels a little more baggy and loose fitting compared to First Lite or Kuiu. It's worth noting that First Lite tops and jackets seem to be tailored to those with longer arms and torsos so keep that in mind. Last year I sold all of my Kuiu goods because people will go nuts and pay top dollar for even the used stuff and I just found myself living in my First Lite gear all the time anyway. I LOVE that they give to fish and wildlife conservation and hunting organizations to support the wild places and our traditions. I kept the original KUIU down pants and jacket (which they don't make anymore and it's perfect) which I love to keep in my pack at all times - no other brand has ever made something so packable and lightweight yet still very warm. I still have my entire Sitka kit but it's more of a back-up thing for me or when I happen to be car camping and don't care about weight. Because of the more relaxed and universal fit, it's also great for when I have guests or a buddy needs to borrow something. The Sitka waterproof stuff is really durable so I often reach for it when plowing the driveway (we have a long one and live at 8,700 so it's a real chore) and downhill skiing with the family (easy to spot me on the mountain in hunting camo!). In conclusion to this long post, I've come a bit full circle on camo patterns and find myself gravitating back towards solid colors so the "dry earth" and "conifer" colors from First Lite are a real home run for me. I love the gray and black colors for general lifestyle clothing too and have all of their hoodies in all the solid colors. If money wasn't an option and I didn't care about camo, I'd buy all First Lite base layers and mid layers plus their Brooks down jacket and vest. Their Uncompahgre puffy is great too (unfortunately they no longer make the vest). Then I'd buy Kuiu outer layers in both soft shell (Guide DCS for me) and waterproof jacket and pants (I ran the Chugach jacket and the Yukon pants and loved that combo given the beating my pants take in the backcountry). I wouldn't hesitate to buy Sitka but compared to First Lite and Kuiu, the only reason I would do so is if I was one of those guys who's body weight fluctuates a lot and I needed a little more forgiveness in the fit or I didn't care about keeping my gear lightweight for backpacking. Sitka is also the best if you're a woman and want high performance goods from the base layers all the way out to the gloves and headwear. Nobody can really compete with Sitka for their women's line and the fit is much more dialed and not as baggy and boxy as the men's stuff. It's maybe a cop-out, but I think mixing the best of what you like, what fits well, what performs well and is comfortable, and what works for your needs is the sweet spot in my opinion so don't be afraid to pick a little from more than one brand. You'll be so comfortable and set that you won't give it a second thought so all that's on your mind is the hunt and enjoying the outdoors.

I have historically hunted either private land or done day hunts on public for whitetail or waterfowl, so I never really had to live out of a backpack. Sitka was always what I would grab for mid and outer layers and I was always happy with it, especially when it was cold and wet. I moved a couple of months ago and it's looking like I will have a lot more opportunity for backpack hunting now (if I can draw a tag), so I wanted to start trying some more Kuiu gear. As soon as I got a couple of their pieces, I knew they were my new favorite. I now have a full set from base layers to outer and plan on grabbing some more as they have sales. The weight and packability is awesome, but the fit and feel are top notch for me as well. Sitka may have a slight edge for bitter cold, but Kuiu has really started to fill out their line.

Now I'm really looking forward to the waterfowl gear that they just hinted about...

First lite for me. Have had for several years now and love it. The kiln base layers under the sanctuary 2.0 bibs and jacket had me warm in 25° with 45mph gusts. I felt no wind and was plenty warm. Will keep you warm in the teens as well. Very quiet material. I love the camo pattern too. I was ground hunting a couple years ago and had a small buck standing next to me less than 10 feet away for a minute. Had a number of other deer walk by at 10-15 yards.

Don't overlook Badlands gear. I have Sitka and Badlands , and really like them both. Badlands has everything from hot weather clothing with a cooling effect when you start to sweat. And they also have clothing rated for below zero. Very comfortable, great company and the best warranty and customer service that I've had yet. Something doesn't fit or you have a issue it's taken care of in days, not weeks or months

In my experience each of the brands has some great pieces and they all have some that fall a little short too. If I don't love it I send it back.

I like the merino from both FirstLite and Kuiu, but I would probably give the edge to FL because I like their heavier weight wool pieces a little more. Mid layer favorite is Kuiu Peloton 240, their other fleece products i didn't care for. Insulated/down I like the Kuiu stuff a little more. The FL insulated stuff I find to be really tight in the armpits for me. Favorite pant is the Kuiu attack, but I also like FLs lightweight wool pant. I also really like FLs zip off long John's, great on the days with big temp swings. Overall the Kuiu stuff seems to fit me a little better but I like FLs camo patterns better.

Like I said earlier, I think the best route is to try different things and return what you don't love.

Lots of great experience in this thread.

One thing I would add. Think about what gear you carry (and need "at hand") and the pocket layouts of the pants and jackets. Rangefinder, calls, GPS, hand warmers, lens wipes, little snacks, etc.

I have a fair amount of both Sitka and Kuiu, and the Sitka pocket layout causes me to reach for it more often.

Deeper pockets, pockets in the right place, quiet zips, zip direction to open or close. Lined warming pockets can be really nice at times.

Lots of time I have mixed patterns in the field. The animals don't care.

Last edited:
i have Maybe 90% Kuiu now in my kit. The rest is an even split between Kryptek and Sitka. The warmest pants I have found are Kryptek with long knap fleece inside. Hands down best cold weather pants. They fit nice and loose as well for layering

I picked up a First Lite Origin Hoody and a pair of Sitka Traverse pants so far. Holy cow what a difference between my old Rivers West gear, under armour and that stuff!. The FL hoody fits perfect and keeps the wind and cold out all on its own. The Sitka pants are definitely designed to go with a base layer but keep the wind and water at bay. Fit is spot on to sizing. If I layer with Sitka, I'd get a size bigger for comfort. Hoping to pick up a Kuiu hoody soon too. Buddy just got their down jacket and it's light and warm. Problem for me and kuiu this far is it's too short. Thanks again for all the help with gear and spending my money! Y'all haven't led me astray yet!!!! It's all been worth it!

I have been using patagonia base layers for the past 12 to 15 years and they have been the best I have ever used. The ones I like are the R-1s. Sitka and Kuiu over them work great down to 0-10 degrees. When I worked the north slope, they issued a sweater to all of us that was light and when worn in conjunction with the R-1s was good to 20 below. I never wrote down the brand or learned what it was made out of, but it was warm, but cost over $350.

I personally like all the First Lite gear I have but am becoming less brand loyal and probably will be looking at each item I want and buying the best value.
That being said I'm also thinking as much as I try and buy made USA in other items I need to do the same with my outdoors clothing.
A company I just recently found out about is Forloh. Made is USA with free shipping and returns. Unlike First Lite. I recently purchased a second pair of FL pants at the same size as my others. They were to small!!! I had to pay to send them back then 1 moth later I had to contact them and harass them to get the new pair.

Kris