Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spear

• Blowgun

• other

• Total voters
I like the 44 mag. I have a S&W 629 that's taken about 50 hogs. The pistol is so much easier to deal with if I'm crawling through the brush. I prefer to sneak up to within 30 yards but probably about 20 of the hogs I've taken were about 100 yards. I use standard open sight so it's important to use a rangefinder and know how many clicks it takes for a given range. I like the challenge of getting up close. My closest shot was 5 yards. The strangest part for me is that I've never missed at a hundred but I've blown 2 or three shots and they were all at 25 yards.

I currently use a knife or tomahawk with dogs in the mornings only. Days and nights I have used FN SLP with steel and lead slugs ,A Skorpyd Crossbow, Super redhawk .44 , Para-Ordnance .45, M77 .243, SSG 69 in .308, 458SOCOM. funny thing is the closest I've shot was 2 feet away and the furthest was just over 400 with the Steyr. I did once kill two by accident with 550 hardcast in the socom...go figure.

All I've ever used was either my 243 or 270 bolt action rifles. I've never tried with anything smaller, but I have a few acquaintances that have peaked my interest in trying out an AR platform on a hunt, maybe next time.

morning, slug gun, 243, 308, 257stw, 257wbee, 340wbee,
223, 22 magnum, 7mmwbee. that's enough.
BBQ hog. makes ur fingers hurt. justme gbot tum

All of my pigs (except 1) were dropped with a Marlin 1895SBL in 45-70. All of my bears too for that matter.
Only my last hog was taken with a 300gr Barnes TSX bullet from a 458SOCOM. The SOCOM dropped him pretty quick for a center lung shot. I've never shot any of the pigs in the head; yet. :D

AR platform is hard to beat for hog killing!

I still have not settled on a caliber but I have excluded 5.56...after a couple head shots that didn't go exactly the way I had hoped. Both required multiple additional shots to stop the squealing!

I currently am trying to narrow it down. I have 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62X39 and 300 AAA Blackout.

Leaning heavily to the 6.5 Grendel bUT I have a couple 7.62x39 AR that shoot quite good!

Having never once shot a hog, would the heavier 70gr. .22 bullets work ok? I've got a heavy barrel upper with a 1:7 twist that shoots the heavier .22's pretty well. I also have a 1:9 Bushy upper for it that will shoot up to the 62 gr. Bullets pretty well. One of these days that's a hunt I want to take. That's my plan, anyway. Also a lot of heavier stuff, all bolt action. .270 or .308, maybe even the .338WM would be in the truck. Ya just never know!
Cheers,
crkckr

IMG_2554.JPG
DPMS SASS 308 - 168 grain Barnes TTSX - Devestating

Having never once shot a hog, would the heavier 70gr. .22 bullets work ok? I've got a heavy barrel upper with a 1:7 twist that shoots the heavier .22's pretty well. I also have a 1:9 Bushy upper for it that will shoot up to the 62 gr. Bullets pretty well. One of these days that's a hunt I want to take. That's my plan, anyway. Also a lot of heavier stuff, all bolt action. .270 or .308, maybe even the .338WM would be in the truck. Ya just never know! Cheers, crkckr
I'm not a big fan of the .224" calibers for hogs, but people do it successfully. I'd suggest something like a Barnes TSX or TTSX or the Nosler Partition to ensure penetration and expansion without 'blow-up'. The larger hogs have a pretty tough gristle plate.

My 2 cents. With a head count exceeding 3000 hogs [not typo], last 18 years interdicting hogs to and from cattle feed lots has allowed a tremendous amount of research in caliber effectiveness. Started with AR10 308 and 260. If heart or lung shot pigs would run 40'-next pasture, with shoot thru's which i have to be careful due the abundance of livestock. Switched to 7.62x39 with 123 sst with better DRT, but still not satisfied with Russian or any other surplus loads in that caliber. Started 6.8 15yrs ago with 110Vmax with 90% DRT out to 400yds, running D740 gen3 and ATN Thermal on 18" and 20" AR's. No shoot thru's unless small footballs, then not a whole lot left to identify. 110 penetrates 3-7" then explodes. Killed Excess 500 over 250 lbs with that load and probably same amount over 300lbs. Now remember these hogs have unlimited caloric source [feedlot], they get huge real fast. Multiple pigs over 600lbs too. 6.8spc has never let us down or hit any shoot thru's.