• Spear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blowgun

• other

• Total voters
1494032028936.jpg

I have been using a home built 6.5 Grendel AR with Pulsar NV, running 100 grain Nosler ballistic tip (hunting) hand loads with great success. Daytime hunting 6.5 Creedmoor with 143 ELDx handloads cant be beat.

What are you getting out of those 100gr with your Grendel. I think that's the perfect weight for that capacity.
I'm gonna be rocking the 99gr hammers once I'm set up to reload at the new house.

Finally made a point to take the Aero/Tromix 458 Socom to the farm and get it on paper. Granted this is 50yds because everything else is under water and this is as far as I could safely shoot. I think this just passed the 358 Winchester AR10 as my favorite, if not my favorite, it is the most fun to shoot.

300gr Hornady JHP from Black Butterfly on the left and 300gr Barnes TTSX from Black Butterfly on the right. I probably pulled that one TTSX up high.

5 shots each

20190616_110131.jpg

It really depends on the type of hunting you're going to do. My hunting buddy and I carry a .30-30 when using dogs, 6.8 spc and 6.5 creedmore when shooting thermals. When sitting field edges we carry a .25-06, 270, 7mm or a 6.5x284. With the correct shot placement and bullet choice, really any caliber from a .223 and up will put down a hog.

It really depends on the type of hunting you're going to do. My hunting buddy and I carry a .30-30 when using dogs, 6.8 spc and 6.5 creedmore when shooting thermals. When sitting field edges we carry a .25-06, 270, 7mm or a 6.5x284. With the correct shot placement and bullet choice, really any caliber from a .223 and up will put down a hog.

Same as jmitchell above, I have a pretty good selection of rifles to use, depending on where and how I'm hunting them. They have all worked fine. I prefer head and neck-junction shots, as body shots thru lungs usually don't leave much of a blood trail, especially in the swamps/swamp edges where we usually hunt them here in Fla. Most are shot around/under feeders, range 75 yds or less. I prefer more horsepower than less, any .223/5.56mm I use Barnes TSX or Nosler Partitions. My go-to is a Rem. 760 pump in .30/06, with a Leupold VX-R 2-7x 34mm and 30mm tube, German #4 reticle with 1 MOA Firedot in the center. The Firedot is the cat's rear end for hogs, dim light and black hog you can lose your crosshairs easily, but that tiny red LED dot is right there, precise and deadly. I have the 3-9x 40mm 30mm tube versions with Duplex Dot on a Ruger American .30-06, and on a Weatherby Mark V in .300 Wby. ( with CDS turrets ). I shoot 180 gr. bullets in the '06's, Rem. Core-Lokt PSP and RN (that hit like a sledgehammer), Fed. Fusion, Nosler Partition, etc. The Weatherby gets fed 165 gr. Barnes TTSX or 180 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Other rounds used that have all worked great are .35 Rem. and 45/70 in Marlin levers, Win. '94 30-30 ( 170gr Partitions), Rem. 700 SS in .270 Win. ( with various 'tougher' bullets, Barnes, Trophy Bonded, etc.) or Rem. 150 gr. RN Core-Lokt. And, Rem. 870 12 ga. with BRENNEKE SLUGS, specifically. Rem/Win./Fed. Foster-type slugs are just a hollow soft lead cup, that flattens and fragments with shallow penetration. The Brenneke's are a solid lead cylinder, with a pass-thru from any angle. Buckshot is a dangerous joke, unless you are within 20 yds and get a broadside shot and mangle his head with the entire load with the first shot. Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Mag. and Blackhawk .45 Colt with Buffalo Bore heavy hard-cast have taken a couple each at close range. The Blackhawk gets carried as a backup ALWAYS. My 2 cents.

That is one hell of a sweet setup! Maker or components list???

This the rifle in it's current state, the only thing that has changed since that picture is the buffer set up and scope.

Aero M5E1-SD Enhanced receiver set with Gen 2 Handguard, Wilson Combat 16" Ranger barrel, Wilson Combat Q-Comp, Wilson SLR Adjustable gas block, Toolcraft 6.5 Nickel Boron BCG, Magpul CTR stock set, Slash's heavy carbine buffer set, LaRue MBT 2s trigger, Warne Skeletonized Cantilever 30mm mount and Burris Four X 3 - 12 x 56mm Long Range scope

I will see if I can find a new picture with the new scope.