Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
Current Hornady Superformance ammunition is downloaded from their previous Light Magnum offerings in calibers made for old military rifles like 7x57mm Mauser and 6.6x55 Swedish Mauser. The proliferation of old Mauser rifles and lawsuits against firearms manufacturers makes this necessary for US ammo manufacturers.

Nosler does not offer ANY loads in 7x57mm Mauser as they would have to download far below its potential in new rifles like my CZ 550. The only way to experience current full power new production ammo in a 6.5 Swede would be to get Norma ammo. I have some of their full power 7x57mm ammo for my CZ 550, and it is the standard I judge my handloads against.

Nosler makes one load in 6.5x55mm in their Trophy Grade line. It shoves a 140 AB at 2650 FPS, which is respectable, but not as fast as my old Norma 7x57mm which shoves a 150 SP at 2756 FPS. Just try beating THAT with a handload. I haven't been able so far, but I have gotten loads a bit more accurate. Hornady does not list the speed of their 6.6x55mm Superformance in the catalog that I have. The old Light Magnum loads will probably be close to Norma and Nosler loads in speed.

The Nosler 6.5x55mm Trophy Grade ammo uses Norma (branded as Nosler, of course) brass and is a step up in quality over Hornady Superformance.....and you will have to pay more as well.

Last edited:
Product Information

SUPERFORMANCE ammunition is loaded with proprietary propellants that increase the velocity ratings up to 200 feet per second compared to other popular brands. Because there is no increase in pressure, regardless of the caliber, there is no increase in felt recoil but there IS an increase in efficiency and high speed performance.

Super Shock Tip (SST) bullets combine proven Hornady performance with a higher ballistic coefficient than available with most hunting bullets. The sharp, pointed polymer tip creates a faster, flatter shooting bullet. With its one-piece core and jacket strengthened in critical areas, the SST delivers much more controlled expansion and superior weight retention than other tipped bullets. Featuring Hornady's trade mark Interlock ring system, this bullet's core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, creating massive wound channels.

Technical Information Caliber: 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser
Bullet Weight: 140 Grains
Bullet Style: SST
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information: Muzzle Velocity: 2750 fps

T

The Hornady Superformance loads in 6.5x55 may not be loaded to modern pressures, but they perform like they are. Unfortunately, that is as close as we are going to get when it comes to U.S. manufactured ammo for the Swede. I haven't shot any of Norma's Swede ammo, principally because I haven't seen any for sale in the several years I have owned a Swede. I have shot ammo from other European makers and their ammo is loaded down, too. Probably not quite as anemic as U.S. stuff, though.

For factory ammo, I was pretty impressed with the Hornady load. I have a VERY GOOD hand load worked up for my Swede and I was amazed at how narrow the performance gap truly is. If I ever need off-the-shelf ammo in a pinch, I will be looking for the Hornady Superformance stuff.

It is frustrating to see good cartridges like the 6.5x55 and 7x57 sold short by the factory ammo makers. That is yet another reason to handload, IMO. Those who don't are missing out on some great chamberings and rifles.

The 6.5's, in particular, tend to be handloader's cartridges as a rule. With the possible exception of the Creedmore and .260, the rest of the 6.5's aren't done justice by factory ammo. If you are going to be a 6.5 fanatic, handloading is pretty much the price of admission.

Last edited:
The Hornady Superformance loads in 6.5x55 may not be loaded to modern pressures, but they perform like they are. Unfortunately, that is as close as we are going to get when it comes to U.S. manufactured ammo for the Swede. I haven't shot any of Norma's Swede ammo, principally because I haven't seen any for sale in the several years I have owned a Swede. I have shot ammo from other European makers and their ammo is loaded down, too. Probably not quite as anemic as U.S. stuff, though.

For factory ammo, I was pretty impressed with the Hornady load. I have a VERY GOOD hand load worked up for my Swede and I was amazed at how narrow the performance gap truly is. If I ever need off-the-shelf ammo in a pinch, I will be looking for the Hornady Superformance stuff.

It is frustrating to see good cartridges like the 6.5x55 and 7x57 sold short by the factory ammo makers. That is yet another reason to handload, IMO. Those who don't are missing out on some great chamberings and rifles.

The 6.5's, in particular, tend to be handloader's cartridges as a rule. With the possible exception of the Creedmore and .260, the rest of the 6.5's aren't done justice by factory ammo. If you are going to be a 6.5 fanatic, handloading is pretty much the price of admission.

I agree with the fanatic thing and is why I took it a step further and developed the 6.5 Sherman and the 6.5 SS. It may not be for everybody but top performance comes with a price! It is worth it for some of us who enjoy the process and the end result..........Rich

I agree with the fanatic thing and is why I took it a step further and developed the 6.5 Sherman and the 6.5 SS. It may not be for everybody but top performance comes with a price! It is worth it for some of us who enjoy the process and the end result..........Rich

t

The reason that "Other" is the leading choice on the list is because the 6.5x55 Swede was not listed. By sheer number of owners alone, it is the favorite 6.5mm caliber of the entire world. About the second best mule deer cartridge and the best one in 6.5mm. #1 spot goes to the 7x57mm Mauser as a mule deer cartridge. The daddy of the .30-06, which is the best all-around big game cartridge in the world. I believe the new Winchester M70 Featherweight is offered in both 6.5x55 Swede and 7x57 Mauser, which makes both cartridges the oldest cartridge designs to be offered for the "Rifleman's Rifle".

The 6.5x55mm Swede is offered by CZ in the CZ 550 American, and for around $800 that should shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with handloads out-of-the-box, and better if you glass bed the action.

Factory mmunition is easily available for the 6.5mm Swede around here, and factory guns from major manufacturers at attractive prices will keep it in a leading position as far as popularity. Like the 7mm Mauser, the fast twist rate makes it an ideal long range rifle that handles high BC bullets that the average person can shoot and afford. Every store around here that sells reloading equipment has die sets for the 6.5mm Swede, and older guys who have real field experience rather than gun mag reading experience like the 6.5mm Swede a lot.

The 6.5mm Swede suffers the same fate as the 7mm Mauser, in that if you want to know how the cartridge can really perform, you MUST load your own ammo as all the US factory loads are lackluster in energy due to the proliferation of old military surplus rifles in those calibers. Norma sells powerful factory ammo that flat out shoots in both rifles, if you want to pay the $55 price per box. Your handloads might be slightly more accurate, but probably not as powerful. What you WILL have is #1 grade fireformed Norma brass that would cost you over $1 per case if you bought the brass alone and will probably last you 20 reloads, so not too bad a deal to try a box or two.

The 6.5mm Swede was the strongest military rifle of its day, as well as being the best in production quality. The secret proprietary Swedish steel used in the receiver was better than anything that the Americans, Brits, or Germans had at the time. My brother shot modern Norma ammo in his 6.5mm Swede with nary a problem, and was that ever a nice shooting and accurate rifle! Most women and teenagers should have no problem handling the recoil. "Favorite" should have no relation to the latest gunwriter induced mania whose main purpose was to sell advertising for a magazine. The 6.5mm Swede still shoots better than the vast majority of those who will ever read this rant of mine. And like I said, the reason that "other" is the leading choice on the poll is specifically because the 6.5mm Swede was noit specifically mentioned.

I will regret not listing the Swede for the rest of my life :rolleyes::cool: LOL

FAL, If you go back through the thread you'll see there are a number of "other" choices, including the Creedmore which was not listed and probably very close to the Sweed in popularity int THIS forum.

So, as of the results to date, I'm guessing the Sweede and Creedmore might have about 60 each of the 146 "other" votes, give or take, which would put them neck and neck with the 264 WM which is showing 57 votes, but well behind the 6.5-284 at 103 votes.

In any case, I do appreciate the input and agree the Sweede is a great cartridge with a great history.

On another note, I picked up my 6.5 WSM today and taking it to the range tomorrow for break-in :D then off for nitriding.

Also picked up the 6-684 last week and the 300 Ultra Match on Sat. All scheduled for break-in tomorrow gun)

Yup, and one of my next projects will be a 264 Montana (after the 270 Montana) that will be a fire breathing dragon.

On another note, I picked up my 6.5 WSM today and taking it to the range tomorrow for break-in :D then off for nitriding.

Also picked up the 6-684 last week and the 300 Ultra Match on Sat. All scheduled for break-in tomorrow gun)

Its about time! :D. post some pics if you get the chance.

T

I have tried the 6.5 TCU, 260 Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, 6.5 Swede, 6.5-06, 6.5-06 Ack Imp, 6.5 Gibbs, and 264 Win Mag. I think the most best is the 6.5-06 for all around use. All the other were fun and I enjoyed them.

I have 6.5 CM in DTA, bolt gun, and AR, 260, 6.5-284 melonited/ABS wrapped, and 6.5 SAUM on the way.

Love the 6.5's

I've really enjoyed this thread.

I have 6.5 CM in DTA, bolt gun, and AR, 260, 6.5-284 melonited/ABS wrapped, and 6.5 SAUM on the way.

Love the 6.5's

I've really enjoyed this thread.

Glad you enjoyed the thread! That's a nice collection of 6.5 cal rifles for sure... If there is a good cal for collecting, I think the 6.5 is it. which did you pick as your favorite?

I picked the 6.5 SAUM - more because I have a GAP 6.5 SAUM on the way I'm really excited about.

I probably would have picked the 6.5 CM if it had been a choice, not just other.

My 6.5 CM with Berger 140 VLD's over 42.5 gr H4350 at 2830 fps is deadly accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.