Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
I want to start by comparing the 130's I used to great success last year to the 140's. Both in MTH. I can sneak the MTACs in the werks somewhere :rolleyes:

My objective is to stay with the MTH's as this is a hunting rifle (with a very short bbl life!).:D I may launch some of the MTAC's to a mile just for giggles though...:cool:

Gotchya

Chad tried to talk me into a 6.5/7mm Dakota... that would be a fire breathing beast for sure.

Yup, I'm thinking a good candidate for RL33 gun)

Hey; that's cool you using a 9.3x62 what load do u use in it. I used to have a 20 " barrel CZ in the 62 . Then I had a 64 Brenneke built on a MarkX action so I sold my 62 . I really wish I still had it. But the 64 does everything the 62 does but 150 yards further away. . I was shooting 250 gr X bullets at 2550-2600 from mine. But I get an easy 2750 fps with the 64 and I'm only burning 5 grains more powder.
Not trying to hyjack this thread but I'm using 250 TSX Barnes VV140 rifle powder at 2500fps in my 9.3 x 62 which shoots under an inch, I had high hopes for the Nosler 250gr Accubonds( beautiful bonded,good BC projectile) but rifle didn't like them which was a pity but I am in no way handicapped with the TSX (bit of an over kill for deer but should be just the ticket for wild cattle.) and you can eat right up to the bullet hole.:cool:
lightbulb9.3/375 Rugerlightbulb:rolleyes:

Now back to the awsome 6.5 cal stuff, is anyone used or using 140gr Nosler Accubonds on game?

Regards Steve.

I see there is some 300 SAUM Norma brass. Might require some neck turning. Something to think about. Maybe Lapua will come out with some 7 SAUM brass?
There would have to be one hell of a demand for it before lapua would produce it, We have quality concerns with certain brands of 7mmSTW brass. (except Nosler which is way too pricey)
We'd love Lapua 7mm STW brass.:rolleyes:

Already thot about it :D
Just can't get up the steam to build another custom.

Hey, here's a 6.5 idea. 6.5/375 Ruger.

Now that there is the 7mm LRM brass from GunWerks, a 6.5/375Ruger is pretty feasible, I was looking at that cartridge before & decided against is due to the amount of work going from .375>.264. I think it'd be a beast :cool:

I'm really surprised there aren't a lot more 6.5 STWs.

Maybe the 1 vote was Layne Simpson.

The STW is one bad mo-fo. LTLR was quoting 130CEB's at 3700fps.... holy smokes batman, I don't know what the drop @ 1k would be but, very few cartridges could even come close. Barrel life would suck im sure :D

t

Without the expensive brass :D Just poking fun, I haven't actually had any Dakota brass in front of me, I know it's expensive (which doesn't bother me in the least). What is the quality & strength like?

t

I've got 100 pieces of 300 Dakota here which was going to be used for a 6.5/300 Dakota but I chickened out :rolleyes::D

The quality seems to be very good. Hornady made to Dakota specs.

What I like about the Dakota is you can chamber in a Howa/Vanguard action, which IMO is better than a 700. The case is .300 shorter than the STW with about the same capacity. The 7 has 2 less grains than the STW and the 300 has 2 more grains.

After I play around with my nitrided 6.5 WSM and 6x284 I'll make a decision on the 6.5 Dakota. RL33 is also another plus this fire breathing over bore.

I've got 100 pieces of 300 Dakota here which was going to be used for a 6.5/300 Dakota but I chickened out :rolleyes::D

The quality seems to be very good. Hornady made to Dakota specs.

What I like about the Dakota is you can chamber in a Howa/Vanguard action, which IMO is better than a 700. The case is .300 shorter than the STW with about the same capacity. The 7 has 2 less grains than the STW and the 300 has 2 more grains.

After I play around with my nitrided 6.5 WSM and 6x284 I'll make a decision on the 6.5 Dakota. RL33 is also another plus this fire breathing over bore.

The new Hornady brass is pretty darn good stuff, IIRC they are making Lazzeroni brass now. Isn't the Howa action an Investment casting? I do like the M-16 extractor better by far but the whole "made in J-a-pan" makes it off limits for me.

t

Yeah, it's a cast receiver, but all the smiths I've talked to say it's just as strong as a Remmy. One piece ported bolt with Sako style extractor and a beefy integral recoil lug.

I have 2 Vanguard action projects going right now, the 6.5 and the 6 and a 700 300 RUM project. The 700 project is costing me a good bit once I replaced the bolt and recoil lug.

My Japanese made Vanguards shoot better than my Finn made Sako and I'll top it with a Japanese NF. I'm OK with the Howas. They're a good solid action for a real good price.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts