Votes: 60 9.4%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.0%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 206 32.3%

• Total voters
Hey you guys with your fire breathing 6.5 dragons are in a different zone than most, but we have afew down here with the same itch. :D
Not my cup a tea but my 2nd choice would have to be the 6.5 saum which I think is a beautiful case design and although not as quick as the wsm it feeds better and does all I'd ever want in a 6.5 :cool:
Only 2 more weeks and the our southern hemisphere stag rut begins, can't wait.
Might have to leave the 260 behind and take the 9.3 x62 out for hunt.:)

regards Steve.

p.s. any of you coming down under?:rolleyes:

Brother, the SAUM lacks nothing... except brass.. lol I think it would be an OUTSTANDING cartridge coupled with a SBN treated barrel... I can dig it!

A stag is on my bucket list, I love to visit your country. Met some dern nice folks from down under.

t

Hey you guys with your fire breathing 6.5 dragons are in a different zone than most, but we have afew down here with the same itch. :D
Not my cup a tea but my 2nd choice would have to be the 6.5 saum which I think is a beautiful case design and although not as quick as the wsm it feeds better and does all I'd ever want in a 6.5 :cool:
Only 2 more weeks and the our southern hemisphere stag rut begins, can't wait.
Might have to leave the 260 behind and take the 9.3 x62 out for hunt.:)

regards Steve.

p.s. any of you coming down under?:rolleyes:

Would love to Steve. If I ever get overseas again NZ is first on the list mate! You wouldn't happen to have a spare round trip ticket would you? :) gun)

Brother, you're killing me... It's supposed to be in the mid 60's Wednesday & Thursday... keep you fingers crossed that I don't get called back to ND... Spent 3/4 of Feb up there, i'm a WEE bit behind.

t
Whats wrong with ND?!?!?!? :D:D JK, pretty busy in the sw part of the state aint it? :rolleyes: Been in/around Dickinson much?

Brother, the SAUM lacks nothing... except brass.. lol I think it would be an OUTSTANDING cartridge coupled with a SBN treated barrel... I can dig it!

A stag is on my bucket list, I love to visit your country. Met some dern nice folks from down under.

t
Ya know... I've been considering doing a 6.5 SAUM SA. Sharpen and push the shoulder down just a little. Midway was advertizing Norma brass a while back but I don't see it anymore. I think I would give it a go if the Norma brass was available.

Ya know... I've been considering doing a 6.5 SAUM SA. Sharpen and push the shoulder down just a little. Midway was advertizing Norma brass a while back but I don't see it anymore. I think I would give it a go if the Norma brass was available.

Norma brass is getting easier to find... I've seen a bunch of Nosler out there too but good gawd... those prices... they must christen each piece with unicorn blood or pixie dust.

t

You'd all be most welcome down under, generally we can hunt year round on public land.There is also some excellent private free range hunting if your budget allows.
You'd have to find you way here and back as I'm only a poor lumber mill worker but I'd certainly feed and house you at no cost and point you in the right direction.
Like wise I'd love to hunt up your way but first I'd need to win the lottery.

Regards Steve.

It's ND

I was in Dickinson the last week of the month...Had to beat feet.... somebody forgot the tags on their truck expire at the end of Feb lol:D

t
Fair enough.:rolleyes: We need to meet up and do some pdoggin this summer though. Ive got a place we can get out to about 700 yards and another maybe out to 1k.

And on the 6.5, i have a 6.5x284 Lapua and love it, but not the barrel life. If i would do it again i would go with the 6.5x47 Lapua, or go 6.5x284 and have the barrel nitraded. Maybe even the 6.5 sherman.

You'd all be most welcome down under, generally we can hunt year round on public land.There is also some excellent private free range hunting if your budget allows.
You'd have to find you way here and back as I'm only a poor lumber mill worker but I'd certainly feed and house you at no cost and point you in the right direction.
Like wise I'd love to hunt up your way but first I'd need to win the lottery.

Regards Steve.

Thanks much for the offer Steve. If I ever am lucky enough to make the trip, I will certainly contribute to the groceries, cooking and dishes. And I/We would love to see you up here as well. Hope you win that lottery and I as well :D gun)

Hey; that's cool you using a 9.3x62 what load do u use in it. I used to have a 20 " barrel CZ in the 62 . Then I had a 64 Brenneke built on a MarkX action so I sold my 62 . I really wish I still had it. But the 64 does everything the 62 does but 150 yards further away. . I was shooting 250 gr X bullets at 2550-2600 from mine. But I get an easy 2750 fps with the 64 and I'm only burning 5 grains more powder.

Norma brass is getting easier to find... I've seen a bunch of Nosler out there too but good gawd... those prices... they must christen each piece with unicorn blood or pixie dust.

t

I see there is some 300 SAUM Norma brass. Might require some neck turning. Something to think about. Maybe Lapua will come out with some 7 SAUM brass?

I see there is some 300 SAUM Norma brass. Might require some neck turning. Something to think about. Maybe Lapua will come out with some 7 SAUM brass?

Yes, i've seen the Norma brass, it would probably require turning (man that sucks :rolleyes:).

I've actually talked to Kevin Thomas about Lapua branded 7mm Saum brass.... not in the works yet dern it. We need to push on him a little harder!

BTW- Look for a thread on the 140CEB's this afternoon or in the morning. No cool stuff yet but i'll throw in bullet measurements compared to the 130 MTH & probably start loading.

I just put a new USO on that rifle & haven't even been able to sight it in yet :(

t

Yes, i've seen the Norma brass, it would probably require turning (man that sucks :rolleyes:).

I've actually talked to Kevin Thomas about Lapua branded 7mm Saum brass.... not in the works yet dern it. We need to push on him a little harder!

BTW- Look for a thread on the 140CEB's this afternoon or in the morning. No cool stuff yet but i'll throw in bullet measurements compared to the 130 MTH & probably start loading.

I just put a new USO on that rifle & haven't even been able to sight it in yet :(

t

130 MTH's? You mean 143 MTH's right? :)

Looking forward to the thread, I'll be cheering ya on :D gun)

Yeah I pinged Kevin about the Lapua bras yesterday. No reply yet. If i do this SA project it will be at least a year off, maybe a couple, other things higher on the priority list including a 7 or 300 Dakota based 6.5.

130 MTH's? You mean 143 MTH's right? :)

Looking forward to the thread, I'll be cheering ya on :D gun)

Yeah I pinged Kevin about the Lapua bras yesterday. No reply yet. If i do this SA project it will be at least a year off, maybe a couple, other things higher on the priority list including a 7 or 300 Dakota based 6.5.

I want to start by comparing the 130's I used to great success last year to the 140's. Both in MTH. I can sneak the MTACs in the werks somewhere :rolleyes:

My objective is to stay with the MTH's as this is a hunting rifle (with a very short bbl life!).:D I may launch some of the MTAC's to a mile just for giggles though...:cool:

Chad tried to talk me into a 6.5/7mm Dakota... that would be a fire breathing beast for sure.

t