• 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
Stoky:

You must be on the wrong forum. If you are not interested in barrel "trashing overbores" then 6mm BR or Accurate or 24 hr Campfire must be your forum.

I have yet to wear out a barrel that has been Nitrocarburized. I also use HBN coated bullets exclusively, which may extend the life of barrels.

Yes the 264 Winchester Magnum is hard on barrels. I wore out 3 of those barrels decades ago. They also shoot flat in the wind and are devastating on game animals at long range which is what this forum is about. I find those "barrel thrashing overbores" a lot more interesting to load for than the cartridges I can buy at the local box store. If you shoot once a year at 100 yards then it makes little difference.

6.5 WSM

Actually, that thought crossed my mind as well:D:D......Rich

Well there goes Stoky...good thing we got rid of him before he learned that there are ways to ameliorate short barrel life with nitrocarbonizing, HBN bullet coating, SMc case design i.e. long necks & radial shoulder design, 5r-3r polygon rifling, carbon wrapped barrels, holding long strings of shooting to a minimum (this ain't bench rest shooting and 10 shot strings don't kill many elk but those first couple should), giving cold barrel shots the emphasis they deserve, opening the bolt and setting the rifle vertical so chimney effect can help cool the throat/bore, using bullets with drive bands to reduce bore friction/heat, using QuickLoad to see which powders are coolest burning, ditto primers,etc..
Yep, there are just too many of us advanced LRH types (that were never young and dumb or green into a new sport) in this country trying to pull together to save the 2nd Amendment and we need to weed out those coming in below us that might replace us as we age and leave the prairie.
Yeah, Stoky we don't need nor want you on this forum. Get you as_ out of here!
Now...I feel much more secure with my favorite wildcat...but I'm not too sure about yours, just keep it to yourself newbie.

Point well taken CR, but I don't think anyone was telling Stoky to hit the road.. although I can see that it might come across as a bit of over reaction to "barrel thrashing overbores" which most of us have some affection for.

So Stocky, hope you don't take it personal, but this is a specialized site where we put a premium on going faster and farther and hitting harder. It usually comes at a price, but that price can sometimes be mitigated.

Point well taken CR, but I don't think anyone was telling Stoky to hit the road.. although I can see that it might come across as a bit of over reaction to "barrel thrashing overbores" which most of us have some affection for.

So Stocky, hope you don't take it personal, but this is a specialized site where we put a premium on going faster and farther and hitting harder. It usually comes at a price, but that price can sometimes be mitigated.

Agree with Mark! I think the point was made........Rich

So do u guys turn down the 100 yard shots? ?:rolleyes:

I think the moderate velocity 6.5 are the most useful.
However. Since I live and hunt in brown / grizzly bear country .the over bore 6.5 aren't as useful for me as you guys in the lower 48 .

I think a first shot kill at 600 yards on a beautiful furred Cross fox and not blowing a huge hole would be an awesome use of my 6.5Creed.
Then filling the freezer with a caribou shot at the same range. With the same rifle make the 6.5 s unique. And superior to any other cailber.
Yes the overbores would do the same as at that range the bullet has slowed sufficiently . But that same fox at 100' would just be a red misty puff of fur.

For general hunting, I usually move in as close as I can practically get. The long shot is great to have when you need it. That said, I might set up a long shot ambush in some good locations. Being distant can be an advantage to finding and shooting critters.

So do u guys turn down the 100 yard shots? ?:rolleyes:

I think the moderate velocity 6.5 are the most useful.
However. Since I live and hunt in brown / grizzly bear country .the over bore 6.5 aren't as useful for me as you guys in the lower 48 .

I think a first shot kill at 600 yards on a beautiful furred Cross fox and not blowing a huge hole would be an awesome use of my 6.5Creed.
Then filling the freezer with a caribou shot at the same range. With the same rifle make the 6.5 s unique. And superior to any other cailber.
Yes the overbores would do the same as at that range the bullet has slowed sufficiently . But that same fox at 100' would just be a red misty puff of fur.

So... you want a moderate velocity 6.5 (or any 6.5 for that matter) in Grizz country?
You may be a little braver than I am :D

Yes, any magnum rifle smacking a fox at 100' is going to make a mess :D but don't fool yourself into thinking that the Creed won't make a nasty hole either.

t

For general hunting, I usually move in as close as I can practically get. The long shot is great to have when you need it. That said, I might set up a long shot ambush in some good locations. Being distant can be an advantage to finding and shooting critters.

Good point, my 6.5 is right around 16lbs IIRC, while I can & do pack it, she's set up for ambush hunting.

t

Yeah
I'm figurin' on movin' somewhere with bean fields and necking a .458 Lott down to 6.5.
Gonna call it the 666 Texass Barnburner.
It should be just the thing for deer the size of dogs.

Consider a solid bullet such as Barnes X, Hornady,Winchester variants for close shots at high velocity on fur bearers and bears and VLDs for LRH...the difference in POI inside 100 yards will be so little as to be unworthy of consideration while the precision sight in for the VLD will remain.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.