Votes: 59 9.5%
  • 6.5-47 Lapaua

Votes: 51 8.2%
  • 6.5-06

Votes: 48 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 198 32.0%

• Total voters
It is absolutely just right. I have one. I built it on an Interarms mk X action. PacNor barrel. I haven't done a ton of shooting with it. But had it built as an all around big game Alaskan rifle. . I've put around 400 rounds thru it so far. It has Blackburn bottom metal, NECG expression sights with banded fore sight and barrel band sling swivel eye. Boyd's laminated JRS style stock. I think it has a Boyd's trigger+safety which I want to replace.
My loads are a 250 gr TSX @2750 fps
And a 285 gr Lapua Mega or Norma Orynx @2650 fps.
From the 22 1/2" barrel that has an integral 1" muzzle brake. It is the easiest shooting rifle in its power class I have ever owned and shot.
Working loads are 68.5 gr Rl 15 with 250 gr TSX
75 gr IMR 4350 w/ molly tumbled 285 gr Lapua Mega or NormaOrynx. . I would not be nervous about picking an up close fight with a brown bear or of a 300 yard shot on a trophy bull moose. And with the 250 gr TSX it doesn't do much damage to Sitka Blacktails. I've even shot red fox with it. Its a little hard on the pelts. But not as bad as a 22-250 at the same distance.
The biggest problem. Availability of brass. . .
Brass can't be made from any other brass.
I had to have an under barrel recoil lug installed and the stock cross bolted after it split its stock. .

It is absolutely just right. I have one. I built it on an Interarms mk X action. PacNor barrel. I haven't done a ton of shooting with it. But had it built as an all around big game Alaskan rifle. . I've put around 400 rounds thru it so far. It has Blackburn bottom metal, NECG expression sights with banded fore sight and barrel band sling swivel eye. Boyd's laminated JRS style stock. I think it has a Boyd's trigger+safety which I want to replace.
My loads are a 250 gr TSX @2750 fps
And a 285 gr Lapua Mega or Norma Orynx @2650 fps.
From the 22 1/2" barrel that has an integral 1" muzzle brake. It is the easiest shooting rifle in its power class I have ever owned and shot.
Working loads are 68.5 gr Rl 15 with 250 gr TSX
75 gr IMR 4350 w/ molly tumbled 285 gr Lapua Mega or NormaOrynx. . I would not be nervous about picking an up close fight with a brown bear or of a 300 yard shot on a trophy bull moose. And with the 250 gr TSX it doesn't do much damage to Sitka Blacktails. I've even shot red fox with it. Its a little hard on the pelts. But not as bad as a 22-250 at the same distance.
The biggest problem. Availability of brass. . .
Brass can't be made from any other brass.
I had to have an under barrel recoil lug installed and the stock cross bolted after it split its stock. .

Yes, it's an outstanding round but unfortunately very little known. :rolleyes: At least you can purchase brass now. I suppose you're going to take some hundred cases? Below I give you the 9,3x64 data (metric) with the so called MJG - bullet by Lutz Moeller. You can buy those as fab - ammo and take a look at the velocity, incredible.
Weite [m]
0​
50​
100​
150​
200​
250​
300​
Schnelle [m/s] 1.042
989​
938​
889​
842​
797​
745​
Bahn [cm]
-4,5​
+1,2​
+4,4​
+4,9​
+2,2​
-4,0​
-13,9​

Leistung bis 300 m aus 65 cm Lauf​
Starting out with 3176 fps...:D As far as I know is the round still produced by RWS, Brenneke and Lutz Moeller. Might be some more smaller companies too.

What bullet weight is that, a 150 ???
I don't know of anywhere that 9.3x64 B is available. .

Yes, the MJG is a bullet made of brass and the 9,3 has a bulletweight of 10 gramm = ca. 150gr. Lutz Moeller was the first one using brass made bullets for (LR)-hunting and with outstanding success both in Europe and Africa (plains game). This bullet type and its manufacturer have become famous. You might take a look at lutzmoeller.net and you'll find an English site as well. The 9,3x64 is still available as fab - ammo as I told before. Just google the companies.
Looks like the 9,3x64 will have a second spring time in Europe at that's because of Moeller.

Yup. I found it. Thsts where I've gotten my brass before. . The RWS brass is great stuff. I have some of it I have reloaded 10 times. I kick myself for getting rid of my 9.3×62. . Brass is ALOT easier to come by for it. And the CZ550 comes with a quick twist barrel. Thank you for posting the links.

Yup. I found it. Thsts where I've gotten my brass before. . The RWS brass is great stuff. I have some of it I have reloaded 10 times. I kick myself for getting rid of my 9.3×62. . Brass is ALOT easier to come by for it. And the CZ550 comes with a quick twist barrel. Thank you for posting the links.

You're welcome and enjoy yourself. :) I owned a 9,3x62 (Heym SR20 N) by myself for almost 20 years and made the same mistake than you did... Great, great round for large and also dangerous game.

For me it ( 9.3×62) was a bit slow for starting a fight with a big brown bear up close. The 64 has the speed with the more disruptive bullets like the Orynx. Maybe it wouldn't matter but being quite remote and alone, having a bit more speed doesn't hurt. The 64 duplicates the performance of the 375 H+H which is the gold standard brown bear hunting rifle in Alaska. . .

Here in the Interior, the 62 would be great. Bears are smaller than on the coast.

For me it ( 9.3×62) was a bit slow for starting a fight with a big brown bear up close. The 64 has the speed with the more disruptive bullets like the Orynx. Maybe it wouldn't matter but being quite remote and alone, having a bit more speed doesn't hurt. The 64 duplicates the performance of the 375 H+H which is the gold standard brown bear hunting rifle in Alaska. . .

Here in the Interior, the 62 would be great. Bears are smaller than on the coast.

I agree with you! The only but big disadvantage with the 9,3x62 is its limited effectiv range due to LRH. I wouldn't shoot longer than 250 m with it. The 9,3x64 on the other hand combines the hard hitting effectivness of the 62' with the outstanding longe range capability of the 8x68S. :) Superb!

Yes. It seems that often on an agitated bear even the 375 can be a 3 shot rifle. Meaning its takes 3 shots to keep it down permanently. And this is at close range.
But we've taken up enuf of the 6.5 thread with the 9.3 . :):Dgun)

Yes. It seems that often on an agitated bear even the 375 can be a 3 shot rifle. Meaning its takes 3 shots to keep it down permanently. And this is at close range.
But we've taken up enuf of the 6.5 thread with the 9.3 . :):Dgun)

That has to be said! :D gun)But you're right we might irritate someone. Excuses in advance.

Successful bear hunt for you! :)

I just got my barrel today, I'm changing a 300 Win Mag T-3 Tikka which is terrible to shoot (6.6 lbs) and changing it to a 6.5 Rem Mag. Shilen # 2 barrel and finish at 25". Should be a light weight carry shooter.
Traded a guy from Texas here on LRH my PPC stuff for his form dies and since I have 200 new 350 Mag brass I should be good for quite a few yrs

As far as big rounds go I like my 338/06 I traded 7Magnum for here on LRH

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.