Fatboy tripod

Jack300WSM

Been thinking about getting a tripod. After researching I came across a local guy who is a Two vets and Fatboy dealer. I've always shot off bags. Any experience with this style of hunting/shooting, are they worth it and are they really as stable as the dealers claim? I'm currently thinking Fatboy three section Elevate with Levitate head. Thanks

If you get a rigid one they are extremely stable (RRS, Two Vets, some of the Leofoto RRS clones, etc). I haven't used a Fatboy but they look legit. Get a carbon fiber one and get one with a leveling head/base, or super strong ball head. You can easily shoot 5-700 yards standing with one without much practice…with the ones that have a 150lb rating I bet you could shoot 1000 while standing. I have a Leofoto LS-323C, which is the minimum stiffness I would go with (44lb rating), but it's what I use for hunting because it only weighs 3lbs. That said, I went 8 for 8 on a 12" plate at 500 while standing with it yesterday. Any place you have knee high grass or brush they are hard to beat.

the Fatboy site shows the 3section Elevate has 42.5mm legs, 26.5" collapsed length, 150lb capacity and around 6lb weight. Nearly all of my shots will be within 650yds.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpeg
    IMG_2744.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 68
Been thinking about getting a tripod. After researching I came across a local guy who is a Two vets and Fatboy dealer. I've always shot off bags. Any experience with this style of hunting/shooting, are they worth it and are they really as stable as the dealers claim? I'm currently thinking Fatboy three section Elevate with Levitate head. Thanks

I have a 2 section elevate and a 3 section RRA with the anvil 30… I don't have experience with the 2 vets…
Both tripods for me are game changers when it comes to shooting from elevated positions…
The last Sporting rifle match in Raton I attended last month the shooters in my squad preferred the fat boy head over the anvil head…
If it is a calm wind day from a standing position I have made stable shots on 1.5 MOA plates to 800 yards…
A good tripod is a great tool to have…
I also use tripods for prairie dog shooting using a small foldable stool and shoot from a sitting position…
That gives the stability and elevated shooting position to be comfortable to 400+ yards…
The RRA is a lot lighter…
If hunting is the primary use look at weight…

Really depends on how and where you hunt. For me a light weight tripod vs stability is give and take. If you are not planning to hike mountain terrain those beefy tripods are definitely the way to go. If you are like me and hiking mountain range terrain and often a fair distance you will want a much lighter tripod which means giving up some stability and therefore you need to add something for rear support.....ie shooting stick, back pack, etc. Just a few things to think about. Definitely worth having the tripod as a tool to use. I've used mine a lot.

With tripods and shooting sticks, a rear support I find is critical for stable standing shots. A trekking pole works well for this. I mostly use my Caldwell dead shot magnum field pod for standing shots needed to get above the prairie grass. It doesn't have separate rear support but the very long gun cradle lets you put stabilizing down pressure on the front while resting your arms. It's very heavy though.

Take a look at the Javelin Ascent system. Lightweight and versatile mounting system that is great for going from bino's to spotting scope to rifle to walking stick.