Tripod legs

Marc Young

Looking for suggestions on the best tripod setup for glassing with 10-50 slc and spotter.

There are probably several dozen which will meet your expectations. The Chinese have flooded the market with everything from extruded aluminum to the most popular currently, carbon fiber, touting the weight savings.

For glassing, especially with higher powder binoculars or a spotting scope, I prefer a fluid head which yields a smoother motion than the standard ball head. Carbon fiber for weight savings is nice although I have aluminum tripods which I like just as much.

Here is one I bought recently:

Meopta - Premium Carbon Fiber Tripod Kit - Includes 2 Heads (Ball Head & Fluid Head), 4 Adapter Plates, Smartphone Adapter & Padded Carrying Case

1692262581190.png

About this item

• Premium & Durable Carbon Fiber Legs
  • Includes Ball Head + Fluid Head (2 Heads)
  • Includes Smartphone Adapter & Padded Carrying Case
  • Includes 4 adapter plates (2 for each head)
  • Weighs only 4lbs, Folded size only 18" and fully extends to 70" high

If you're intrigued with only the very best:

Really Right Stuff

https://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/

Sit down before reading the prices and descriptions. These are often referred to as the Gold Standard and are priced that way.

I used one model for hunting and glassing one year, then the rest of the world caught up and those were priced much more friendly.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Looking for suggestions on the best tripod setup for glassing with 10-50 slc and spotter.

This one is a rabbit hole you may not want to go down. What defines the best tripod setup?

Heavy and less leg extensions is more stable, but if you're actually packing the setup and hiking it, then light and more leg extensions make it more bearable.

Carbon fiber can be lighter than aluminum, but that's not always the case.

I do prefer ball heads vs fluid, but fluid heads have their benefits too of being able pan easily, and mine lock down more solidly.

How do you plan on using your setup?