Time to stretch the Allen Mag legs

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well the 270 Allen Mag is gonna get its first real deal long range test this weekend. Me an BJ are gonna try for the 1500yd pdog tommorrow.

BJ's wife is about to calve so this is the last weekend he can go out and play for a while so we figured we might as well give it a try. The 270 AM has been grouping pretty good and there will be very little wind and cool temps so Saturday might be the day.

If anyone has any encouraging words or tips I would love to hear them

thanks
Steve

[ QUOTE ]
Well the 270 Allen Mag is gonna get its first real deal long range test this weekend. Me an BJ are gonna try for the 1500yd pdog tommorrow.

BJ's wife is about to calve so this is the last weekend he can go out and play for a while so we figured we might as well give it a try. The 270 AM has been grouping pretty good and there will be very little wind and cool temps so Saturday might be the day.

If anyone has any encouraging words or tips I would love to hear them

thanks
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

crank on 45MOA and have at it.

Tip: QUICK FOLLOW UP SHOTS!!

JB

Go out this evening and put up a wind flag in middle of the dog town. Also put you up a cardboard box with a target on the front.

Tommorrow you will have you wind sock and if for some reason you have trouble getting dialed in you will have a target already there. Or if things are going good you can shoot you a tight three shot group at 1500 yds and brag about it to make the rest of us feel bad.

Oh yes try to remember that the big black things are not pdogs, they are cows.

Life changes after children arrive, and in my mind for the better. I killed a whole lot less animals after that but I would not trade it for anything. I will be out backpacking in the Appalachians this weekend with wife and son. No guns at all on the trip. No regrets at all.

Hope you make your hits.

PS remember the camera and make sure the batterries are good

we are planning on videoing and taking pics so the whole **** fiasco will be documented /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

36 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That seems a little generous, but then my brain aint calibrated for those wildcat missiles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Definately expecting a report on what dope it takes to get there.

I will be shooting my 308 to 1400 or so as well as my 6.5 as far as the clicks will let me.

the 308 takes 72MOA to hit at 1400 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

not sure on the 6.5

Good luck

JB

I ran it through the RSI shooting lab program with a bc of .740 and a speed of 3350fps. I am actually shooting faster than this so that is why I said it usually is a little high. We used this program for gong shooting at 760yds and the program was about 2 clicks high.

Either way hopefully it is close enough to let me see the first shot land, after that I will probably just be walking shoots around.

I guess it's easy to see who actually works around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!!

I haven't had time to pee but Lerch has posted several times!!!

BuffaloBob: We might need more than one windflag along the .85 mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif stretch we will be shooting.

BTW, do you guys think she'll be old enough for a rifle this Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif?

Congrats on the coming addition. If this is your first, I guarantee your life will change for the better. Of course you will have no sleep for the first few weeks, and then when they get around 11 or so, your blood pressure will suddenly start to fluctuate, but other than that, you in for a ride bud.

My daughter is going on 24 now and can out hunt and fish most growm ment I know. The grandson will be 4 come about Thanksgiving. It is something to behold, as their life unfolds in front of you.

Good luck on the shoot, hopefully it won't be long before I will be out stretching the legs on one of my own. My bud already has a 300 RUM we are playing with. Kirby tamed it down really sweet for him, and I guess in the next month or so we will be busting up some hogs. I bet those 210gr Bergers or 220gr SMK's will knock them on their pigskins for sure.

jb1000br,
are you shooting past supersonic or you've got a tric I don't know about? 32" barrell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jb1000br,
are you shooting past supersonic or you've got a tric I don't know about? 32" barrell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well past supersonic. With a 175 at 2725fps, JBM says 990fps at 1400yds. Still made a nice round spot on the steel at 1400

Some bullets take the sonic transition better than others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

[ QUOTE ]
JBM says 990fps at 1400yds. Still made a nice round spot on the steel at 1400

[/ QUOTE ]
Willaimsport is only 1000 isn't it? where do you find anywhere flat enough to get 1400yds in PA?

I'm like 2 1/2hrs north and dying of envy. Your killing me. our longest range is 200, got to hit the local farmlands to shoot to 400 at best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JBM says 990fps at 1400yds. Still made a nice round spot on the steel at 1400

[/ QUOTE ]
Willaimsport is only 1000 isn't it? where do you find anywhere flat enough to get 1400yds in PA?

I'm like 2 1/2hrs north and dying of envy. Your killing me. our longest range is 200, got to hit the local farmlands to shoot to 400 at best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Special place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You are welcome to join -- i have an ongoing thread at the snipershide.com forums in the bear pit section called "extreme range in central PA" or some such -- check it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

due to circumstances beyond my control, we couldnt shoot real long this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.