Save your legs. Camera systems?

sdkidaho

Have any of you put together a wireless video system to put down by your targets so that you can just watch and see on a small video screen, where all your hits are landing, rather than trying to glass it or walking to the target to check things out?

I've just seen guys talking about it on some other forums and thought that this would be a great place to ask. I know there are some systems out there to buy, and it looks like they range from $400 to $1500, but I'm thinking a guy could probably build it himself and save quite a bit.

Have any of you done this and if so are you willing to share what you've done to make it happen and be usable?

Thanks

No, it's not as difficult as all of that. I've seen some of the systems guys are making and they didn't look that difficult.

My bother can though one together for a few hundred dollars and five minutes on the internet :rolleyes: he just hasn't talked hard enough to get funding :D

There is a very good thread on Snipershide on this but they are talking units that will go out to the mile+ range which grabbed my interest!
Wireless Target Observation System - Sniper's Hide Forums

If I had a camera system I would save on tires going to the 600yrd line, you need 4x4 most of the year at the range I shoot and it's kinda hard on the wife truck :rolleyes:

bigngreen,

This stuff is straight forward. Get as much power on the transmitter as possible as a bit of assurance.

The secret is the high gain antenna. The Yagi is the highest gain. A decent one is just under a 100 bucks unless there is some kind of sale. They are very directional. I suspect it may take a person at both ends during set up. Not sure though?

The next secret is pure line of sight. No sage brush and stuff. Shouldn't be a problem.

Cameras are dirt cheap if you snoop around the security sites.

The big AM I have will most probably force the issue.:rolleyes:

That First Class FCC license I got years ago, is finally coming in handy.:)

Saw on a gun web site about putting a video camera on the spotting scope and running it to a laptop, after each shot see the hole in the target.
The video camera is by micro soft bout one hundred dollars, the equipment to put it down by target is much more.

True, but for $65 it might be worth trying. The thread you showed where the guy was going to try a targetteck system - I don't see where he ever came back and commented on it.

I don't hear good things about targettecks customer service - as in people buying his systems and him never even delivering the units at all.

Once I put one together I'll log the process and put something up here. Thanks for the help Roy - those were some great references.

seems like you should be able to rig something with two cell phones that have video chat capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts