Gun Tripod

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. What else are you going to use the tripod for? Mounting spotter? Mounting binos? Filming?
2. If you go with a center extension model, you will have far less stability. I know some will cry foul, but its pretty easy to see. Do you want three legs going to the top, or a single extension?
3. How are you going to attach the rifle to the tripod? Saddle of some sort (Pig, etc.) or a direct mount using a pic/Arca rail?

Yes it does hurt the wallet a bit. I can tell you from personal experience, trying to save some $$$ and purchasing a less expensive tripod, put me in a bind elk hunting last year. One of the legs was totally immoveable due to plastic internal part failure.

Look at leofoto. All different sizes of CF tripods and different size ball heads at about 1/3 the cost of RRS that are arca comparable. One head has pica-tinny tail and arca.

Anyone have a versatile gun Tripod they use, something solid and close to standing rifle shots?
I use 3 crepe myrtle sticks, about 6 1/2' long, 3/4" diameter, joined by leather straps with inner tube reinforcement. Crepe myrtle wood dries straight and is light and hard when completely dried. Kinda' Texas meets Africa engineering.

Maybe I missed it, but what is your purpose or use?
In preparing for Africa hunts where you use a standing tripod, or bipod almost exclusively on a stalk, I'd suggest you contact your PH and find out what they use so you can get one and practice with the same.
If for competition, money spent counts a lot. "You get what you pay for".
If stalking antelope my granddaughter used a BogPod to get her high enough to shoot over a hill top and take her buck around 175 yards.
Field use I've used a lot of home made bipods and tripods in Africa which worked fine for the purpose.
personally for over 250-300 yards I vastly prefer an attached sitting or prone bipod.
JME&O

I've been looking at tripods for some time now. If $$ was no object or I was competing with the tripod, I would probably look at the top of the line. Everyone has their own priorities. I like nice things, but over $1500 for a tripod and head is blowing my mind. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here.
Bog, pod, death grip

I have this tripod and it is great! I bought this one and the revic from gunwerks here are my notes.

Attachments

• Tripod Pros & Cons List.jpg
    Tripod Pros & Cons List.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Tripod Specs.jpg
    Tripod Specs.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 45
I was under the impression that RRS is American made, and everything else is Chinese.
The Chinese have taken over manufacturing and I won't purchase their products, unless it is a critical NEED and I don't have an alternative. I checked my Two Guys and I do not see the dreaded "Made in China" anywhere. The Two Guys is priced like a premium made product and I'm very satisfied with its quality. China is our enemy and this is becoming more evident by each passing day. Try to purchase American made if possible or at least choose country's that have a history of being our friends.

The Chinese have taken over manufacturing and I won't purchase their products, unless it is a critical NEED and I don't have an alternative. I checked my Two Guys and I do not see the dreaded "Made in China" anywhere. The Two Guys is priced like a premium made product and I'm very satisfied with its quality. China is our enemy and this is becoming more evident by each passing day. Try to purchase American made if possible or at least choose country's that have a history of being our friends.
As far as I know Two Vets is made in China, just like Leofoto. Leofoto straight up just copies RRS and I try my best to tell people to avoid that type of crap. RRS spends lots of $$$ on research and development only to have someone else steal their designs.

As far as stability goes RRS and ProMediagear are both very, very good....probably the two best of the bunch. I use a tripod virtually everyday over the past 14 years as a professional photographer and the RRS is the only one that has lasted more than 3 years without turning into a pile of crap.

As far as heads go it's very hard to beat the Anvil 30 as an all around shooting head. Adjustment and ease of operation are very good, and it even works fairly well to glass from.

A word of advice on tripods...get one that extends to the tallest height you might need without using the center column. Stability really suffers once a center column is extended.

I'm trying my best to eliminate China produced products going forward. Of course this eliminates most of the inexpensive tripods. I don't need a tripod that will hold up to daily use, but need one that is a solid platform for shooting and glassing. I was hoping to find this in the $500 range with a suitable head made somewhere besides China. Ideas?