Fastest, Flattest '06 action cartridge

6mm-06AI

Fiftydriver,

What would you use for a long-range, varmint (coyote/some mixed varmints) to deer cartridge, if you already have a 270, 300 mag and other big game rifles?

I'd prefer access to factory cartridges in a pinch and I'm thinking about:

6mm Remington AI or a 25-06 or 25-06AI and a 24" barrel?

How about just using my 270 Win with 110gr bullets?

I'm really curious about your experiences with the 270AI! Sounds interesting and would look neat. What would you expect the velocity gain to be over the regular 270 win. if you limited both to 22" barrels (for light weight). I'd do that if I could get a 140-142gr. bullet up to 3050 in a 22" barrel? Is this prractical?

Last edited:
Sorry to come into this late, but you said you did not want a Gibbs because of the loading issues. I see that you can get a bunch of different Gibbs new cases from Quality Brass. Is there any reason why you would not go this route if you did not want to do all the fire forming but wanted the performance that comes from that case?

SES50

270ai

Hi what about a 270AI now berger is making vld's in .277 it would be great you should punch 150gr vld's out at 3100fps+ in a long barrel. It isn't the fastest but it would have reasonable barrel life good energy and shoot flat to 1000 yards.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.