false copper readings

GW Hunter

Just got an awesome Tipton composite cleaning rod recently. It works great except for the brass end that accepts the jag. It always gives a blue color to the patch. I saw a comment on Midway website that said to lacquer over the brass tip. Wondering if anyone has tried this. Thanks GW.

My patches don't go that far down, they are up on the nickle plated jag. IE I haven't experienced that issue with that same rod. I'm using tipton patches with tipton nickle jags.

Lacquer should work.... haven't had to go there myself as even my brass jags do not lie to me about cf... I'd also look at plated hardware as pods8 has mentioned..

I think the brass end does get a little solvent on it especially if using a brush so it does transfer a small amount of blue to the barrel. I try to wipe off the rod after every pass that seems to help and you will see a little blue on your rag from where the brass gets wiped. I don't worry about it anymore, just use good cleaners and you will be fine. Wipe out works well since you don't need to brush and you don't run a wet patch through the bore just a dry patch or two after treatment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.