Copper Bullets?

TheFishBox

I use a mismash of lead and copper for my rifles but in my latest 300 win mag I am putting together I had planned on shooting copper bullets. I was planning on shooting the 200 grain cutting edge lazer bullet out of it but am now second guessing myself. I know people say copper needs more speed to perform so will the 300 win mag push this fast enough to have good performance from what people are seeing? Per the numbers in shooter I should have good expansion to 1000 yards in theory.
Another question is what is really gained going to a bullet like cutting edge or hammer over just the old standby the Barnes?

Last edited:
Call Steve at Hammer for recommendations. The Barnes are good bullets but those mushroom and don't lose petals. They are good bullets, but for extended distances, the mushroom shape is less, obviously. Rate of twist is very important. My 7mm 8.5 twist will not stabilize the 168LRX Barnes, despite what Barnes data says, 1:9 min.
Hammers shed petals causing secondary damage, with the remaining slug doing primary damage. Steve can fill you in on the twist/bullet stability and any other questions.

Call Steve at Hammer for recommendations. The Barnes are good bullets but those mushroom and don't lose petals. They are good bullets, but for extended distances, the mushroom shape is less, obviously. Rate of twist is very important. My 7mm 8.5 twist will not stabilize the 168LRX Barnes, despite what Barnes data says, 1:9 min.
Hammers shed petals causing secondary damage, with the remaining slug doing primary damage. Steve can fill you in on the twist/bullet stability and any other questions.
^^^^^^^^ I concur 100% and the Hammers will be faster than the Barnes ( Which is still a great bullet), Steve is a great guy to work with and will fix you up without a doubt

The often unsung factor in Hammer's is base material. Their reject pile could have made them king of the tweaker's here in Spokane.
Having chucked Barne's in a lathe to experiment with hollow points, and finding the material (same box) readily cut, and some we couldn't cut with a carbide bit, to much variation for me.
Bigger hollow points expand more reliably, and reliably cut BC.
For long range hunting with the heavier mono's, I prefer bigger cases.
Take into account shooting 1000 yards for big game is just theory for me.

The Barnes TTSXs work for me in .284 caliber. I can't attest for 1000 yards but they've been deadly for my out to 300. Both my barrels are 1:9 so I haven't tried the LRX 168 which requires a 1:8 twist. Working on loads right now with the 139 LRX in 280AI. The are showing promise...

We've had good success with the TTSX's in my .375 AI (250's) and my wife's .338 WM (225's). I've used mine on antelope to 430 yards, and my wife's on elk at 400 and a bear at 380. We aren't looking for anything to replace them with! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.