Fall Bear

Dalebow

I have shot spring bears and they had long, beautiful hair, my big Choc bear was shot on Oct 18th, 2010, which was a pretty hot year and the hair was long and pretty. I drew a CO bear tag for Sept 3-7 and was just wondering what the hair is like then?
Thanks

Generally good, but getting better. Some of the bigger bear can seem a little thin. The August ones we've shot here, and in BC were OK. All the old hair is gone so they don't have patches here and there.

I typically hunt Hells Canyon the 3rd weekend in August. Just about the time the wild plums are ripe. It's very very rare to see a bear with a thin coat even then. However, my September bear from 01' had the thickest coat I've ever seen. I'll bet you'll be fine. No where near as risky as spring bear, & I belive the meat is 10 times better in the fall. Huckle berries, wild plums, blackberries, & green grass all summer make for way better flavor than something that has been living off its fat reserves, & hadnt fooped in months. Just my opinion..... but I'm right:D hehehe

I hunt in Colorado along the western slope of the Rockies up in the Grand Mesa National Forest... I have yet to see a bear with a scraggly looking coat. Everything from cubs up to the biggest boars all have very healthy thick fur in the Fall, and the bear population is very healthy. Although, I have never hunted there in the Spring, so I don't know how their coats start out after Winter.

Just this morning I picked up my OTC bear tag for the 2nd rifle season in late October... as always, it's gonna be hard to wait for hunting season! gun)

I got my first season rifle tag also for bear, it is an A tag and my private land rifle tag for Sept 3 is a B tag, so Iam hunting bear twice in CO:)
Hope to repeat my 2010 OTC tag hunt, got my elk in the morning and my bear exactly 12 hours later:D

67783_1532024338257_1164225344_31294428_6554709_n.jpg

Just a huge bear. Congrats. Assuming he came in to your elk kill. I'll be hunting water holes with an elk tag and a bear tag. Hoping for either.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts