Factory seconds

I have had very good results from bless of various brands. What I have run into with a batch of suspected Terminal ascents from Midway are no tips on the whole batch. Does anyone on the forum know of a source for the blue plastic Slipstream tips for .30 cal/200 g ??

Here's the problem I'm seeing with some factory "seconds" I've seen. These bullets have not been dropped, shaken, etc.. If these tips dislodge from the jacket after they've been chambered, then whether or not they are consistent or accurate is the very least of my concerns.
1680634689238.jpeg

I have a friend working at Nosler and asked about the seconds.

Basically the first few thousand of the line after a change are inspected at intervals to determine when the machine is working perfectly. Most of the first batch is destroyed.

The next are labeled "C" grade. They are not quite right. The weight may be slightly off but within "acceptable limits", ogive may be off, tips deformed etc. These are labeled as well.

The final batch coming off the line are sampled randomly, and until they are perfect, they are sold as seconds. These may be discolored from handling and being pulled before cleaning. Slight tip deformation, or slight ogive variations. He said they usually have the line straight within a few thousand, but run a few batches then recheck before they go through as firsts.

I buy overruns without reservation, and seconds of certain types with little concern.

If you want perfection, buy perfection.

I'm working through some Hornady Interlock 284 139gr BTSP seconds or blems or whatever that my dad bought on Midway and gave to me. He probably bought em years ago, when things were cheaper. A lot of the tips are messed up, the best I can describe it is the lead is kind of flaking/breaking away on some. I'm just using them to fireform brass in a 280 AI and break in the barrel. I also weighed most of them when I loaded them up and the weights were definitely not consistent, nothing crazy but off by a couple grains. Some groups are fine, some aren't. They generally go where I'm pointing, but I would never hunt with them.....with lead they're target only, being in CA, anyhow. Still way more fun to ring steel and break in my new barrel vs blowing puffs of cream of wheat for fireforming!

Maybe someone can help me; I have some 6.5 140 Gr BTHP blemished and can't figure who they're made by. BTOG is .790 and length is 1.310.

Also forgot to mention that those blem's I loaded were really hard to keep the seating depth consistent measuring with a comparator, so maybe the ogives are a little inconsistent? Again, no really wild fluctuations, but definitely not precision.

Here's the problem I'm seeing with some factory "seconds" I've seen. These bullets have not been dropped, shaken, etc.. If these tips dislodge from the jacket after they've been chambered, then whether or not they are consistent or accurate is the very least of my concerns. View attachment 453780
I had this issue with regular 200gr accubonds, 21/50 had the tip dislodged in one box. The white plastic looked almost like it was deteriorating?

I had this issue with regular 200gr accubonds, 21/50 had the tip dislodged in one box. The white plastic looked almost like it was deteriorating?
I bought a box of .284 160 Accubonds that were not seconds but sold as 1st quality,I saw Nosler reps at SHOT Show that year and told them about the tips being off the bullets and after a couple of phone calls they replaced the bad bullets.

Has anyone done any analysis on "blem" bullets?
or do any manufactures explain what constitutes "blem" Aside from color?
what Part of the manufacturing process did these bullets fail that makes them "blemish"?
it seems that these questions could be easily answered.
presumably there is some aspect of quality control that these projectiles failed.
color, weight, length, diameter center of gravity etc. how do they even measure what's important?

Last edited:
I have no hesitation buying seconds/blems, as long as they don't appear to be Sierra's. I've shot a lot of Nosler and Hornady's w/o noticing any variation from their usual bullets. I've shot a few from Barnes and they shoot okay on paper so far. OTOH, I once bought some 70 gr 25 cal spitzers w/ green plastic tips from Midway. They weren't labeled Sierra, but I'm pretty sure they were. They should've been labeled "defective," not "blems/seconds." The plastic tip was missing on 39/106 bullets shipped. That's the only time I've been disappointed w/ blems/seconds.
IMG_0822.JPG

Has anyone done any analysis on "blem" bullets?
or do any manufactures explain what constitutes "blem" Aside from color?
what Part of the manufacturing process did these bullets fail that makes them "blemish"?
it seems that these questions could be easily answered.
presumably there is some aspect of quality control that these projectiles failed.
color, weight, length, diameter center of gravity etc. how do they even measure what's important?
Usually the first couple thousand of a new batch. Just dont meet tolerances. Ive bought lots of blems. Mostly nosler and never any issues, just cosmetic. Ive got a couple batches from midway, all ended up being hornady or hornady produced for Remington. I cross cut them, weight sorted them and water jug tested them. All check out great minus maybe 5-10 out of 100 with broken tips from loose packaging

Last edited: