Factory seconds

Time is money in manufacturing and assembly lines are not set up for "extra work". More efficient to either scrap or sell off-spec products as "blems/seconds" versus paying for sort, clean, repack.

In a paper mill, giant machines make giant rolls of paper that is converted into all sorts of packaging, tissue, etc. When they change grades of paper the machines do not stop and the "transitional" paper that is not the original grade or the next grade is "blem" and either sold at discount or recycled.

I managed a soft drink carton plant that made millions of soft drink cartons per day - when we switched from "red brand" cartons to "blue brand cartons" on the run at speed we had "blem" cartons that were fully functional but not the right color until the machine settled on the new ink.

I've shot thousands of Nosler and Hornady seconds without any problems.The only ones that were pure junk was some Remington Accutips that I got from Midway.The cannelure was so deep I think it squashed the bullet.I never could figure out where the bullet was going when I sent them down range.I've only found one bullet that was an obvious screw up from SPS.It was a ballistic tip inserted backwards
I've seen that BT happen once before, those aren't supposed to be sent out of the factory. Same as set up bullets. They have a bullet crusher that destroys the bullets prior to sending them for recycling.

If you can find a box of blems labeled "finish blems" let me know. I would guess it is far more common that they make 50000 and that the accuracy or expansion test fails….they cannot know that until they make them. Nobody likes to scrap 50000 finished products. "Blem" pays for materials…

Just saying. I don't know this for sure. Safe, yes. …..but accuracy and expansion matter to me.

Aside from a few exceptions like SPS and occasionally powder valley, why does it seem like an advertisement for a factory second or 'blem' is a big secret as to what it is? I know it's not hard to figure out once in hand, but it seems like it's just '500pcs X big around, that weigh X much'
I would think they could at least name the bullet for ease of data and safety sake?
Just something I've been wondering about, anybody dialed in on this?
I had 2 of these so called "seconds" explode 10 feet in front of me. I will not buy them again. The monetary savings are not worth it to me. BTW, the barrel twist was within spec for the bullet used.

Last edited:
The company that made them doesn't want to sell them with the rest of their bullets, and won't tell you what the problem was. That's all I need to know. I don't make much money, but I don't think saving a couple bucks by shooting bullets that failed to meet the manufacturer's specifications is where I want to save my money.

That said, they work great for fireforming AIs and the like. Even so, I rarely feel like the discount is enough for me to buy them.

The company that made them doesn't want to sell them with the rest of their bullets, and won't tell you what the problem was. That's all I need to know. I don't make much money, but I don't think saving a couple bucks by shooting bullets that failed to meet the manufacturer's specifications is where I want to save my money.

That said, they work great for fireforming AIs and the like. Even so, I rarely feel like the discount is enough for me to buy them.
Nosler seconds are sold from their plant in Bend. The Shooter's ProShop is a division of Nosler. And they fully explain what they are.

Blems are no longer priced to get material costs out; I ll wager the companies are still making good money on them!

Dating myself but I remember when SPS first started going good back in 80 s ….. those Blems were significantly less expensive. Not so much anymore.

Blems are no longer priced to get material costs out; I ll wager the companies are still making good money on them!

Dating myself but I remember when SPS first started going good back in 80 s ….. those Blems were significantly less expensive. Not so much anymore.

Exactly! My first experience with "blems" ( in the late '80's) were with Hornady .375, 270 grain Spire Points. A box of 1000 for $112.00, if my memory is correct!

Oh, how I wish we could still get those kinds of deals! memtb

Exactly! My first experience with "blems" ( in the late '80's) were with Hornady .375, 270 grain Spire Points. A box of 1000 for $112.00, if my memory is correct!

Oh, how I wish we could still get those kinds of deals! memtb
I got 1k of the 30-180 Solid Base first which were over runs in 2004-2005. These had a reputation of being close to one of the best "controlled" expansion bullets. Almost perfect mushrooms! I've debated putting them on GB to free up cash for a rifle or optics.

Scrap prices have soared for a number of years, thus cost increase of "blems" or seconds.

I have used literally tons on past years. I would do a fair bit of sorting through the winter. Thousands of rounds later, I never had any blow ups, when the plastic tipped types came out I had numerous with several tips shoved into the nose. Figured there was no way they would fly and used them for fire forming, they shot well to say the least.
I was saving 1/2 or better back then. If you can save 1/4 today is about as good as I have seen.