Factory High Performance Vs. Hand loads

Tall

Why when you compare factory velocities to hand loads the factory ammo advocates a faster Muzzle velocity than any of the hand load data can produce?

For example-
A 300 weatherby 180 accubond is claiming 3250 FPS using 180 grain. The fastest and most accurate load on Noslers web site shows using IMR 7828 max load is producing 3185 FPS.

Hornady is claiming with there new high performance powder they are getting 200 feet per second faster and having less Pressure with there new super charged loads. I called Hodkdons and they said they are probably using a blended powder, wich is something hand loaders don't do. So do any of you have any experience on this subject?

Factory ammo makers sell ammo based on "published" velocities. However I have found that rarely do factory ammo makers actually hit the numbers they are claiming. As for Hornady's superformance product line I can say that they do produce faster velocities but again are alittle short of what it says on the box. Also keep in mind that you need to make sure that the factory and the reloading books are using the same barrel length for testing. I have also noticed over the years that reloading books have backed off from their stated max loads. Most likely for safety reasons. But in the end, there are tons of different variables that come into velocity variation. Not just how much or what type of powder is used.

published reload data is published with lawyers breathing down the publishers necks. Now that I have said that comon sense dictates that high velosities and presure will not equal accuracy.
Not to mention that the manufactures have their own blends and "presure test barrels" to test their ammo AND while said ammo is been fired in the test barrels it is done without humans preasent in sealed rooms.
Follow your basic rules, always confirm a load with a differant publisher, start at the start and never exceed max load. Find witch load best suits your rifle and dam the velosity.

why do you suppose that a powder like retumbo does not make the charts for a caliber like 300 win or 300 weatherby, but yet it works great in 7mm rem mag, & ultra mag. Also works good in 300 ultra mag. It does show up in a 300 weatherby mag once the bullet weight hits 200 grain.

I have 5 lbs of retumbo that was baught just for a 300 weatherby. I guess ill save it and go buy more powder specifically for the 300 weatherby.

Retumbo is a pretty slow burning powder. It seems to work best in the "super magnum" catagory. Big cases that hold alot more powder than a 300 win mag and are usually fired out of barrels longer than 24-26 inches. Best loads I've seen with 300 win mag cases usually use RL22 powder or equivilent.

I would never think of trying to blend my own powders. I am just curious about how they can claim data that can't seem to be reproduced using hand loads and powders and supplies available to hand loaders.

Does velocity equal accuracy? Do hand loaders only load for velocity or are they loading for accuracy also? I don't claim to be anywhere close to an expert, but aren't some rifles more accurate with less than maximum charges? I hunt game, not paper and cronographs. Please enlighten me on this subject. Perhaps I am killing animals with too slow moving bullets.

I would never think of trying to blend my own powders. I am just curious about how they can claim data that can't seem to be reproduced using hand loads and powders and supplies available to hand loaders.

That's because they want you to BUY their ammo. :D

They do use proprietary powder blends and such and it not the same loads published in reloading guides.

Often you can beat some factory loads. Usually 25-06 or something. But it is difficult to beat some of the factory magnum loads, as they are pretty much running max pressure with the factory ammo to start with.

why do you suppose that a powder like retumbo does not make the charts for a caliber like 300 win or 300 weatherby, but yet it works great in 7mm rem mag, & ultra mag. Also works good in 300 ultra mag. It does show up in a 300 weatherby mag once the bullet weight hits 200 grain.

I have 5 lbs of retumbo that was baught just for a 300 weatherby. I guess ill save it and go buy more powder specifically for the 300 weatherby.
My brother and I have used Retumbo in the 300win; there's no reason it wouldn't work in the roy. Heavy bullets would be manditory and a compressed charge would be likely, but it should work well.

220 GR. HDY RN Hodgdon Retumbo .308" 3.565" 79.0 2679 45,900 CUP 84.0C 2853 54,000 CUP

200 GR. SFT Hodgdon Retumbo .308" 3.510" 80.0 2764 46,100 CUP 85.5C 2981 54,400 CUP

Unfortunately I am pretty far off from Utah...Texas to be exact. But you are correct, powder has been very hard to come by as of late. They sure have caught up with firearms production, I have to wonder when the re-loading stuff will catch up.

Does velocity equal accuracy? Do hand loaders only load for velocity or are they loading for accuracy also? I don't claim to be anywhere close to an expert, but aren't some rifles more accurate with less than maximum charges? I hunt game, not paper and cronographs. Please enlighten me on this subject. Perhaps I am killing animals with too slow moving bullets

you are right. Velocity does not equal accuracy. My most accurate hunting load for my 7mm rm is 67.0 grn imr7828, cci mag primer and 150 grn etip, well below max load. So, if your loads are accurate then you will have meat in the freezer and a trophy or 2 on the wall

Does velocity equal accuracy? Do hand loaders only load for velocity or are they loading for accuracy also? I don't claim to be anywhere close to an expert, but aren't some rifles more accurate with less than maximum charges? I hunt game, not paper and cronographs. Please enlighten me on this subject. Perhaps I am killing animals with too slow moving bullets.

Your thinking is right on. The best thing about reloading for me is I chase both velocity and accuracy. I use Berger bullets and they recommend that proper expansion needs 1800 fps. So that limit is set by the velocity plain and simple and if you shoot long range that becomes pretty important but does not trump accuracy. If you are using big bullets 200gr+ the velocity usually runs out before the energy drops to low.

It's pretty satisfying to find a combination of components that has both velocity and accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.