"Factory Crimp Die"

I really had my doubts which was why I originally posted this thread.

The only bad thing about buying the first one was seeing the results which caused me to then buy one for each of the center fire rifle calibers I load for.

The ten bucks each that I've spent has proven to be one of the best moves and money I've spent on upgrading my reloading gear.

What really convinced me was when I simply pulled a bunch of bullets on a load that was already working well for me in the .260, replacing them with another and simply crimping them without resizing or anything else. All I did was run them through the seater die and put a light crimp on them.
I agree, one thing I learned is if I have a finicky rifle, that just won't shoot five in a group, try a crimp die, it just may be the answer.

Absolutely...as long as I remember lol. Still be a lil bit cus I'm still in the process of nailing down a good charge weight then gonna play with bullet seating. So it might be warm out again before I get to comparing the crimp. Been a weird winter hear in Wisconsin!

It sure has been weird this winter in the Badger state... Seems like the wind will not give me a break, doesn't help that my shooting range is on top of a bald hill.

It sure has been weird this winter in the Badger state... Seems like the wind will not give me a break, doesn't help that my shooting range is on top of a bald hill.

What part of the state you at? I'm in Waushara cnty. I'm fortunate with the wind in the area I do most shooting is surrounded by higher ground and it really cuts the wind. Only problem is I only have enough room to shoot 150 yrds there. For longer I go to my buddy's farm where the wind is a much greater factor.

Any who I'll be testing out a few crimped loads vs uncrimped this wknd...I didn't forget!

What part of the state you at? I'm in Waushara cnty. I'm fortunate with the wind in the area I do most shooting is surrounded by higher ground and it really cuts the wind. Only problem is I only have enough room to shoot 150 yrds there. For longer I go to my buddy's farm where the wind is a much greater factor.

Any who I'll be testing out a few crimped loads vs uncrimped this wknd...I didn't forget!

Waukesha county. I can get 500 yards out of my back door, but as I said, bald hill... To get to 700 plus I have to take a 4 wheeler ride. I have a pile of test loads ready for a nice day.

I agree, one thing I learned is if I have a finicky rifle, that just won't shoot five in a group, try a crimp die, it just may be the answer.

This is a new factory barrel (ROUGH) 270wsm. I just through together a load that shot well in my last 270wsm barrel. Not the greatest but a good indication of whether this barrel will react well to a LFCD.

Attachments

• 20170304_113700.jpg
    20170304_113700.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 149
Exactly. I have 5-6 similar experiences with my AR15 .223

I don't have to understand the why, to benefit from the LFC die.

We should be charging money for this advice.

Develop your best load. Crimp with LFC die. Your best load's precision just improved - way more likely than not.

If your current loads already meet every precision need for your hunting distances, why bother.

And rifles that are currently shooting 1/4 or even 1/2 moa, maybe no more precision is necessary. Pretty sure a 1/4moa rifle isn't going to 1/8moa by crimping the 1/4moa load. It's already hitting on all cylinders.

I'm trying to stir up a ruckus here, and finding it difficult to get any nibble, let alone decent bites.:)

Aright shot a few groups today with the superformance powder which seems to be pretty temp sensitive and finicky. I tested out 3 different charges because I'm still trying to dial it in and I loaded 3 shell's in each charge that I crimped as well. I first gotta say that I'm not pleased with any of the results I'm getting with this powder, however across the board groups where better with the crimped loads. Will definitely test further with crimping I think it looks promising.

This is a new factory barrel (ROUGH) 270wsm. I just through together a load that shot well in my last 270wsm barrel. Not the greatest but a good indication of whether this barrel will react well to a LFCD.

Slight adjustment to the load and seating depth. With LFCD 5 shots at 200 yards from my hunting bag. This barrel has just one hundred rounds shot including break-in shots. Im happy for a factory sporter 24" pencil barrel and the factory crimp die! I bought this rifle for a lightweight tree stand gun but it has much more potential than I expected.

Attachments

• 20170315_123309.jpg
    20170315_123309.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 147
Got a quick question. What would be considered a light, medium or heavy crimp?

I set mine to where I was just feeling some resistance at the bottom of the stroke. Measured about .002 smaller on case mouth from case neck. Any less than this and I couldn't really see any crimp on the neck mouth. So what would this be considered?

How much of a crimp have you guy's seen the best results with?

Got a quick question. What would be considered a light, medium or heavy crimp?

I set mine to where I was just feeling some resistance at the bottom of the stroke. Measured about .002 smaller on case mouth from case neck. Any less than this and I couldn't really see any crimp on the neck mouth. So what would this be considered?

How much of a crimp have you guy's seen the best results with?
I run about .002" reduction as well. It seems to be a light/medium crimp.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.