Factory ammo winchester positive expanding point?

Joefrazell

My question is in a 120gr 25-06 would you use this bullet to shoot an elk? Shots will be limited to 300 yrds? My reason for asking is my wife's rifle shoots these well and these alone. I've tried 4 different bullets and powders and other factory ammo and the best I can get is 3" at 100. This ammo will shoot 1.5" at 100 with 5 shots. I'm sure I could keep working and finding a load but I'm kinda over it and will likely sell the rifle. My original plan was to have her use my ruger american predator in 6.5 with 143 eldx's. But I know she would like to take her rifle. It's a mossberg 4x4 laminated with ss barrel fyi. Thanks

If you shoot the PXP at an elk avoid hitting hard bone and go for a heart/lung shot penetrating only the ribs. It's more designed for varmints and light/thin skinned game like small white tailed deer, coyotes etc.

Avoid shooting 5 shot groups as they are useless and unnecessary. The maximum number of shots you're likely to get on an animal in the field is 3. Stick to that and you'll be fine, probably shoot better and almost certainly improve your confidence with the gun.

If you can find ammo loaded with the Hornady Interbond, Nosler Partition, or Nosler Accubond your shot options will definitely increase.

What do you think the outcome would be if the bullet were to hit the shoulder at 300yrds?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.