factory 28 nosler load question

jacack

long story short i got a deal from a friend of a friend on a 28 nosler christensen ELR that he custom ordered a while back, i changed the stock and finally got around to shooting it and he had given me some factory ammo for it that he said shot great.

he gave me a box of the nosler ammo loaded with the 175 lrab in it and to my surprise it shoots stupid good, like .2s and .3s at 100, i could only get 300yards where i was and it printed about a 1.5 group at that range. I thought i would just stay with the factory stuff until i saw what they charge for it 79.99 at midway , i know it can be found cheaper but still 3-4$ a round most places and he had 80pcs of fired brass and dies he never used so kind of rather load for it.

so i know the bullet and oal, if i pull a bullet anyway to tell whats it loaded with? or is it likely some mystery powder.

i have plenty of h1000 and a lb of retumbo

just curious if its possible to find out what its loaded with

I have the same rifle and it loves the 175 ABLR. Although now I'm handloading them with Retumbo. Two years ago when I got the rifle, brass (when you could find it) was only available from Nosler and it was about $65 for 25 cases. Loaded ammo from Nosler (175 ABLR) was about $70. So I bought a fair amount of factory ammo just for the brass. I'm on the road right now and don't remember my exact load at the moment.
I have the factory stock, but changed out the bottom metal so I can now use a DBM.
Good luck.

I have had good results with that same load. On Nosler's load data site they list a max load of 79 Gr. of IMR 7977 @ 3125 fps which is the same vel. as their loaded ammo with that bullet. But H1000 has shot very well in a couple 28's with the 175/180 class of bullets for me.
https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/28-nosler/

Thanks I didn't notice that with the 7977, think I have a couple pounds of that. Maybe try that and some h1000 with those ablr.

Pulled A bullet, 78.4 of something but not h1000 or 7977 , extruded but bigger thicker than those two

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.