.28 Nosler Brass question

I called Peterson a few months ago and there response was "not at this time" for the 28 Nosler brass.

I am able to get 3,613 fps from my 28 Nosler with Hammer 143gn and N570.

Awesome Kai. Hope I can get similar numbers. I would be very pleased with that!

I think the 28N is proving to be very popular and has caught the attention of ammo makers and gun makers. I like too that companies like browning are finally buying in to making hunting rifles with faster than a 10 or 9 twist to support the heavier per caliber bullets coming to the market.

Last edited:
I have made hundreds of 28N from 338RUM if your going to try with just one die and used brass your going to have a high lost rate. it takes 3 dies to do right
338RUM die with bottom cut off or 33N die adjusted properly
300 RUM or30N same as above
28N die
start by trimming to 28N trim length lube and start with 338 size and rotate 3 times next 300 same as above then on to 28N die. to help with spring back slide .010 feeler gage between shell holder and brass as needed so you wont have to keep adjusting your 28N die

I much appreciate the info. I didn't realize it would take all that to do it but after trying with one die I knew that wasn't going to work. Rather than buy 2 or more dies I think I'll just buy another box of brass. I really don't need a lot. I'm most just hunting with it and have other rifles.

I just ordered 28 Nosler brass from Cabelas online at 65 dollars for 25 but Shipping is free at the moment if your purchase is 50 dollars or more. They do charge tax however.

I have made hundreds of 28N from 338RUM if your going to try with just one die and used brass your going to have a high lost rate. it takes 3 dies to do right
338RUM die with bottom cut off or 33N die adjusted properly
300 RUM or30N same as above
28N dies
Start by trimming to 28N trim length lube and start with 338 size and rotate 3 times next 300 same as above then on to 28N die. to help with spring back slide .010 feeler gage between shell holder and brass as needed so you wont have to keep adjusting your 28N die
Can't you just get a 28N FL bushing die and the appropriate bushings for necking down in steps?

We do it different. But I tried 20 cases and didn't lose one of them using my normal bushing die.

Can't you just get a 28N FL bushing die and the appropriate bushings for necking down in steps?

In my limited expiernce I can't say if using a 28N bushing die would work or not, I just know that a FL sizing die sure isn't working for me anyway. I trimmed the case neck and tried to take it slow and push a little then turn it ect but the shoulder sits up much higher on the 7RUM. See pic. 28 Nos is on left. With a FLS 28N die your are trying to squeeze that 7RUM shoulder into the neck area of the die and it ain't happening. But Yea, "maybe" with a 28N neck bushing die one could in small stages stages keep necking the Rum shoulder down and start reforming the new shoulder? But I don't have a 28N bushing die and don't plan on buying one real soon. I'd like to see a youtube video of of that but I personally I don't want to ruin another expensive piece of good brass. But for now anyway, I have enough 28 Nosler brass on hand and on order to do what I need to do so again, I'm good for now.

28N and 7RUMS.jpg

As the picture shows you are not just necking down, you have to essentially form a new shoulder and neck.

I agree to that, however a prior post states that a 33N die, then 30n die, then 28n die adjusted properly would work. Isn't a 28 nosler die with larger bushings essentially taking place of the other two dies? I'd start with 338rum brass, as it has the shortest shoulder of all the ultra mag cases.

the hole in your bushing die is not big enough to go to 30 caliber bushing die to go down not up. use cheap non bushing dies to form and bushing die to final size

I don't understand that process either. A 30 Nosler die is .051 shorter in the shoulder than the 28 Nosler die. Why would you use that die? To size the body? That doesn't make sense to me as they are both based off the 404 Jeffery. I don't really care what you do. Just my experience you don't need anything but the 28 Nosler die and I didn't mess 1 piece up and did 20 in about 30 minutes.

I don't understand that process either. A 30 Nosler die is .051 shorter in the shoulder than the 28 Nosler die. Why would you use that die? To size the body? That doesn't make sense to me as they are both based off the 404 Jeffery. I don't really care what you do. Just my experience you don't need anything but the 28 Nosler die and I didn't mess 1 piece up and did 20 in about 30 minutes.

I'm not neccessairly doubting you but as I said I have tried twice with my Redding FLS 28 Nos die with the spindle removed. I just can't wrap my head around the process you use. I trimmed the neck and lubed the brass well and tried to go really slow the second time and got the same results. So did you use 7 mm RUM or a 30 cal Rum?
Whats happening with mine is as the Rum case pushes down on the die it hits the rum shoulder and with the shoulder being so much wider than the case throat it gets stuck right there and the shoulder can't push up and become part of the neck so the case just starts to collapase just below the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.