Explain This Please

Yup, Looks like "No Man's Land" have unfortunately put an arrow thru there on a Bull Moose {rear 1/4ing} & Bull Elk {Broadside} and after the River of Blood turned to An Intermittent Droplet on chest high Leaves 🍁- [spent all Morning Tracking] got to see the Moose days later in Fine Fettle [barely any sign of stiffness] - Mr. Elk, not so much as he went of to the next County after leaving a clot where he bedded - then Nary another ….. Same on a running big Dry Doe …. Knocked her over with 300 WM - as walking in she got up and boogied …. Spotted her 500 yds. Away (where I didn't have permission) …. Tiny Blood 🩸 Spot on "Farside High Chest" ….

The video does not confirm this as the hit spot. Not the video I'm watching anyways. I ran this on a program on my desktop and it was above the spine for sure. The direction of the flying fur also confirms the high skimming hit. If you had hit the goat where you're pointing to then the fur on the video would not be shown above the animal on a downward sloping shot.
Saw the same thing you saw. Also saw the spot on the side prior to the shot on the video.

View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

I have attached a link to a video as well as a screenshot of the impact frame.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would like to know where I went wrong.

You barely broke skin at the very top of the back. Good news is that the buck is going to survive that shot.

This was where the bullet impacted the animal. This to me definitely looks like it's below the spine.
Guys I've hunted lots of antelope and that is a gut shot. Too high and too far back. It hit behind the engine room. He could possibly live for days but he will be dead within a week.

I shoot the same bullet out of my 338 Lapua. I've never used it on pronghorn but wouldn't hesitate to use it for them. I've used it to kill a Coues deer which was the same size as a pronghorn. Impact velocity on coues buck would have been around 2400 FPS and the bullet performed as advertised. The big advantage of the 338 Berger is that it gets pushed less by the wind which makes it easier to calculate the most difficult factor in making a long range shot. My guess is that the coyotes have already taken care of him.

I've shot 2 mule deer with that bullet when the impact velocity was around 2200 FPS which may be close to your impact velocity. On one of them the bullet expanded as expected and the other one penciled through the buck. The pencilled through bullet hit him right behind the shoulder, skimmed the top of the heart and exited right behind the other shoulder. He still tipped over dead after about 50 yards but I've seen a 60 gr Nosler partition from a 223 in the same location kill a deer faster.

As already mentioned, cleaning out the tips will help. That is something I'm trying to make a habit of doing. If your Berger would have expanded as advertised, that pronghorn would have likely died shortly after the shot. Pronghorn can often be found in the same area. If you have time, I think you have a good chance of finding him again as long as he isn't already dead(your bullet or another hunters). If he was gut shot, the coyotes have probably already taken care of him.

Last edited:
This was where the bullet impacted the animal. This to me definitely looks like it's below the spine.
See, when I watch the video I have it a bit higher than that. I mean, it looks like nothing but hair flying. It just doesn't look like a spine hit at all, it looks way too high, antelope have very thick back hair. I think you just flat missed, gave him a buzz cut and broke a little skin.

Attachments

• 947E6EEF-F303-4FBB-AA60-45A16BCBBC04.jpeg
    947E6EEF-F303-4FBB-AA60-45A16BCBBC04.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
View attachment 303682This is an antelope that I shot at the other day. The shot was 800 yards on the button. I am shooting a 338 rum pushing 300 grain Berger EH's. This is the first antelope I have shot at with this setup. I was expecting different results to say the least.

I made the shot and he took off. Initially I thought I missed. After reviewing the video I realized I put a pretty decent hit on him. He ran over the back side of the ridge so I figured he would be toast just out of sight. I walked over to retrieve him and as I crested the ridge he was on, I saw him on the next ridge back, over 1k yards away, with the same 3 does. I got a look at the exit side and there was a good stream of blood all down his Left side to confirm the hit and placement. He went up and over and I figured I would leave him for the night.

The next morning at daylight i was back with a buddy to recover him, as I was sure he would be toast. After a bit of hiking around sure enough there he was, running down a ridge a couple hundred yards away. Into a draw and up and over another ridge. Then up and over another. I could see blood stains all down his entry side which confirmed he was the same one.
I did not get an opportunity for another shot. I continued hiking in the direction he went and hiked and glasses for the next couple hours with no luck finding him. At that point he was alive and appeared to be doing just fine. Neither one of us were able to locate him again.

I have attached a link to a video as well as a screenshot of the impact frame.

From the more experienced guys, whats the consensus here? Too far back? Too high? Bullet did not perform properly? Antelope did not have enough mass to instigate terminal performance? Ex-con goat who was just downright tough as nails?

I must say I was expecting more of a bang flop type of scenario on an antelope with this rifle.

I would like to know where I went wrong.

Definitely a gut shot in my opinion. Not sure what the bullet did but they don't just drop on a gut shot. He can live a few days with that wound.

Recent Posts