Elk vs. Mountain Lions

shiredude

I thought that with the recent posts on wolves doing their damage to the deer and elk herds out west that I would share this little story. Keep in mind that I recieved this info via 3rd party. I have no reason to dispute it as it all seems very real to me. The story is from a person near west yellowstone, MT. who was driving along highway 191 just north of 'covered wagon ranch' when he saw this action taking place.

I have some buddies out in New Mexico who are always griping about the lions making an impact on their deer population and thought I would get some thoughts on this from everybody out west.

Like I said, I have no relationship with this man, but they look very real to me.

cougarvselk-1.jpg

cougarvselk.jpg

The story says that the elk got away after about a five minute struggle, ???

I thought that with the recent posts on wolves doing their damage to the deer and elk herds out west that I would share this little story. Keep in mind that I recieved this info via 3rd party. I have no reason to dispute it as it all seems very real to me. The story is from a person near west yellowstone, MT. who was driving along highway 191 just north of 'covered wagon ranch' when he saw this action taking place.

I have some buddies out in New Mexico who are always griping about the lions making an impact on their deer population and thought I would get some thoughts on this from everybody out west.

Like I said, I have no relationship with this man, but they look very real to me.

cougarvselk-1.jpg

cougarvselk.jpg

The story says that the elk got away after about a five minute struggle, ???

Received this e-mail this AM, supposedly writtn by the person who took the pics. I also received several more similiar pics.
Elk have though hide, but no blood on the elk or snow.
Have a hard time beleiving this one.
Phil

I took these photos on Monday the 18th of Feb. at 12:30 PM at mm 34.5 on
> Hiway 191 south of Big Sky along the Gallatin River. The six point bull
> elk was belly deep in snow and struggling. I stopped to observe, and
> when the elk stood up, I noticed something hanging from his neck. A
> cougar was attempting a choke hold to suffocate the elk by collapsing
> his trachea.
> These photos are just a few of the pictures I took during this five
> minute struggle. Finally the cat gave up on his choke hold and decided
> to take a look at me. He took a couple steps toward me, and I put my
> hands into the air and yelled loudly. He hesitated, looked back at the
> elk that was now meandering south along the hiway, and then looked back
> towards me. I raised my hands and yelled again, he finally retreated up
> the hill, and the encounter was over.
> The bull headed south apparently uninjured and feeling very lucky.
>
> Bg
>
> Brad Grein
> PO Box 1289
> West Yellowstone, MT. 59758

keep in mind......

that when comparing wolf depredation to mtn lion that lions dont run in packs of 10 -20 animals and kill every critter they can run down.....lions do kill on average of one deer a week......then they stay with it until it is totally consumed....not just take a few bites then run on to the next victim....there is a reason why wolves were nearly exterminated in the 1800's.....reason being , if you want healthy game herds, you do not want healthy wolfpacks.......AJ

Sounds reasonable

I've read stories about how couger are supposed to be able to take out a bull elk with one swipe. Always raised my BS alert flag to full mast. The story given sounds more like the truth to me. I don't think a couger would even try except in unusual circumstances. A cow maybe, a calf of course, but a healthy big bull; that's BS.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.