Mountain Bipod (Atlas vs Modular Evolution vs ?)

treillw

I'd like to get my dad a bipod for Christmas. I have a Modular Evolution (ME) and an Atlas of my own that I bought years ago. They work well overall. I prefer the robustness of the Atlas for shooting prone and the optional extension legs on the ME for hunting. I would buy another ME, but I wish the joints were a little stiffer - they flex quite a bit and all that movement probably isn't ideal for consistency.

Are there any other good options out there nowadays that are similar to the modular evolution, but might improve on the quality a little? The bipod needs to have long extension legs for shooting while seated. Dad is 76 and with many surgeries can't do the yoga required to shoot prone super low to the ground.

Maybe there is another option (not bipod) out there that would be better for him, since he would carry the extension bipod legs on his back anyway (not going to walk around with ~30" legs on the gun). Ideas? Super light tripod and an arca mount? I know nothing about tripods and how light they can be.

He puts on a lot of miles for his age and weight is a concern as well - the lighter the better.

Thanks!

Not sure if this helps or not, but I use a Spartan Javelin with an extra set of legs that I have flipped end wise and all threaded together so as to have a 20" bipod so I can sit and shoot. Seems like I am often trying to see over grass or brush and the extra height works great from a sitting position. Very lightweight and easy to pack and snaps into the gunsmith mount easily.

I use an Atlas for the most part, but seriously thinking about the Hatch brand. It is designed with many adjustable options to accommodate from prone to sitting position for shots. There are two models with one that can be adjusted to 27 inches and the other to 30 something inches. Good luck and keep your Dad out there enjoying what he likes to do.

I'd recommend a tripod.
I have this one.
Leofoto SA-324C with MA-30L ball head.

Great unit for the price.
Very versatile, lightweight, & stable.
Easy to deploy, attach, & adjust.
Can attach to Picattiny & Arca rails.

Can find them for 20% off at times or
Just make offer to the vendor.

Last edited:
Rather than carry his bipod/shooting sticks, maybe consider trekking poles that can convert to shooting sticks.

I'm still searching for the perfect bipod system myself. Spent $$ in that endeavor. Still haven't found it. I'm back to the Harris again. Hatch, atlas, spartan, ME, tier 1,rugged ridge all have come and gone on my rifles.
Being a backcountry hunter and guide my gear has to be very functional. Often times multi-functional. Weight is a big concern for me as well. This has worked the best for me.
Bipod is handy sometimes. So is my pack to lay across or sitting with the pack standing.
I use trekking poles that I made myself a lot. I use the wiser precision attachments that turn your poles into a crossed shooting rest for sitting. I also added a outdoorsman shooting V-rest to the pole grip handles for an another aid in shooting while standing.
I also have my tripod with me most times for the spotting scope/bino.
I can use it at times when the situation calls for it.
These shooting aids have worked many times for me and others.
I'm still searching for a better bipod though
IMG_7297.jpeg
IMG_7298.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like to get my dad a bipod for Christmas. I have a Modular Evolution (ME) and an Atlas of my own that I bought years ago. They work well overall. I prefer the robustness of the Atlas for shooting prone and the optional extension legs on the ME for hunting. I would buy another ME, but I wish the joints were a little stiffer - they flex quite a bit and all that movement probably isn't ideal for consistency.

Are there any other good options out there nowadays that are similar to the modular evolution, but might improve on the quality a little? The bipod needs to have long extension legs for shooting while seated. Dad is 76 and with many surgeries can't do the yoga required to shoot prone super low to the ground.

Maybe there is another option (not bipod) out there that would be better for him, since he would carry the extension bipod legs on his back anyway (not going to walk around with ~30" legs on the gun). Ideas? Super light tripod and an arca mount? I know nothing about tripods and how light they can be.

He puts on a lot of miles for his age and weight is a concern as well - the lighter the better.

Thanks!
This is what I use for coyote hunting. They attach to a pic rail on your fore end and they do have a sling stud adapter if you do not have a Pic rail ,very light completely adjustable as far as height and quickly and easily attach or detach !https://swaggerbipods.com/products/stalker-qd42

Last edited:
The swaggers must be very popular. It looks like they are sold out at the moment I would still give them a call.

There are a lot of options to help us old guys get in a few extra hunting seasons. Your dad is lucky, because like him the one thing that helps me the most is my son. We've used a tripod and it's worked for us because he carries and deploys it, all I have to do is walk up, put my gun on it and shoot. By myself the tripod would be a little heavy to carry around. I use two trekking poles when I'm going over rough terrain but I normally only have one out when I'm hunting and glassing. I've practiced using different holds with the poles but I've never shot anything off them yet. I've been using the Hatch Outwest bipod for the last two seasons and like it. The one I have, when fully extended is 27". I can sit with it and see over most brush and it's fast for me to set up, but with any bipod the higher you get the more flex it's going to have. It weighs 20oz and is very easy to attach and remove from the gun. Depending on how I'm hunting, I don't necessarily want to carry it around on the end of my gun all the time so I made a picatinny attachment so I can also carry it on my molle hip belt/daypack. One word of advice before you actually go hunting is to practice with him and find out what will work for him, don't assume something will work and go out hunting only to find out it actually doesn't work, that will be pretty frustrating for you both… (don't ask me how I know). Also take it slow, enjoy the time together, killing an animal is probably more important to you, being with his son is probably more important for him. Take care and good luck.