Elk rifles (Savage platform)

freak007

I am not sure if this belongs here, or in the elk forum, but this seems more appropriate...

First a bit of history... I am a left handed shooter, but I learned to shoot with right handed bolt actions. When I first started to dabble in "long range hunting" (at that time any shot at an animal over 200 yards was long range to me) I bought an accu-trigger Savage 111 in .270 win. Prior to that I had shot/owned .308 win (Remington 760 carbine), 7.62x51 (Remington 700) 5.56mm (M4), 30-06 (sporterized M1903), and .50BMG (Barret M107). I do the majority of my shooting prone, but it was not until I fired the first box of 130 grain winchester silver-tips through the .270 that I discovered I am a wuss when it comes to recoil... The .270 weighs 8 pounds with glass, and the recoil was just too much for me. I added a slip-on limbsaver recoil pad, several layers of clothing, and continued to shoot the .270 often enough to take a nice whitetail at 323yds that fall. The .270 has sat in my safe ever since...

While I was being "punished" my the .270, I fell in love with the savage action and the ability for the home smith to easily modify them. I decided that I wanted a lighter recoiling rifle with similar capabilities. I decided on 6.5x55 for the caliber, but Savage never made such an animal. I decided that since I had to build it, I would build it on a SS lefty action. I ordered a 1-8 varmint contour 22" McGowen barrel and searched hard for several months to find a LH LA savage in SS. I located a brand new pre-accutrigger 112 FVLSS with a 26" varmint barrel in 25-06. Unfortunately I did not find the 25-06 until 2 weeks before the whitetail opener and I had no intentions of rushing a build. I bought several boxes of factory ammo, and started shooting to see what it liked. I was able to get consistent .5 to .75 MOA groups out of the Winchester 110 Accubond and Hornady 117 loads (both SST and Interlock). I eventually decided to use the Accubond due to more consistent MV (I had a SD of 11 with 12 rounds tested), as well as higher BC and lower cost. In my testing I found that the 11 pound 25-06 was an absolute pleasure to shoot. I was able to (VERY) comfortably put over 100 rounds down range in a single day. I decided then that she was too nice to part out so I bought 10 boxes of the Winchester Accu-bonds in the lot number I was testing. That hunting season yielded 4 whitetails at ranges from 10 to 381 yards. Every one of them bang FLOP, and every one with minimal meat damage. I have since taken 11 more whitetails out to 417 yards, and the results are always the same... bang FLOP. I am VERY happy with the performance of this rifle/ammo combo.

I have since continued my quest for a SS/LH/LA Savage for a donor a action for my 6.5 barrel, I found another pre-accutrigger 112 FVLSS, this one chambered in 7mm Rem and also with a 26" barrel. Since I am planing a CO Elk hunt fall 2013 with a friend of mine, and this rifle is a twin to my 25-06 I decided I had to have it. I will likely be adding a brake to get the recoil down to my personal level, but I have not had the chance to shoot it yet...

The 6.5 quest continues, and now Savage is chambering 6.5x284 go figure...

Anyway, through all of this time I was a weapons instructor with the Army, one of my fellow instructors and I became very close friends. He is more of a brother to me than some of my own blood. My friend moved to Colorado last fall and is my elk hunting partner for 2013. This will be the first elk hunt for both of us. One of our "minor" issues is he does not own an "elk rifle" (does a model 94 30-30 count?), and due to circumstances it seems he will not be able to purchase one any time in the next year. He is an experienced hunter and an exceptional marksman. When we were instructors we used to go out to the qualification range and shoot 50-300M pop-up targets (with an iron sighted M4 and mil spec-ammo) until one of us missed (usually me). It was not uncommon for us to burn through 60-100 rounds each before that happened. However, I do not believe he would ever shoot at a game animal beyond 400m.

Why do I tell you all this? To put my question into perspective :D

I have decided that I am going to use the .270 as a platform for an Elk rifle that I will give to Will as a gift. However, I cannot decide how to go about it... No matter what, the tupperware stock is going away and it will be getting topped with one of the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40s I bought on closeout. It will likely get either a factory laminate or a Boyds stock to keep the cost within my budget. What I am having a difficult time deciding is caliber - Do I leave the .270 barrel on it? Swap for a 30-06? .35 Whelen? .338 Win mag? The choices are nearly limitless, although my pocket book certainly is... One of the other things that has me intrigued is the .338 Sin. I have considered swapping the 7mm Rem barrel onto the .270 and adding a .338 sin barrel (with brake) to the 7mm action because I REALLY want a TRUE long range rifle, but I come back to recoil... I can comfortably shoot the M107 and 3" buckshot or slugs in an 18" shotgun, but that 'lil .270 beat the snot out of me... Confused yet? I sure am!!

At this time neither of us reload. Although I did get as far as buying the Rock Chucker master kit with Norma brass, Forster dies, etc for the 25-06, but I have not yet loaded anything... I do not foresee Will ever reloading.

Now that I have finished my book... May the advising begin :D

I am not sure if this belongs here, or in the elk forum, but this seems more appropriate.
I bought an accu-trigger Savage 111 in .270 win. The .270 weighs 8 pounds with glass, and the recoil pad I added a slip-on limbsaver recoil pad. The .270 has sat in my safe ever since.
My friend moved to Colorado last fall and is my elk hunting partner for 2013. This will be the first elk hunt for both of us. One of our "minor" issues is he does not own an "elk rifle" (does a model 94 30-30 count?), and due to circumstances it seems he will not be able to purchase one any time in the next year. However, I do not believe he would ever shoot at a game animal beyond 400m.
I have decided that I am going to use the .270 as a platform for an Elk rifle that I will give to Will as a gift. However, I cannot decide how to go about it... No matter what, the tupperware stock is going away and it will be getting topped with one of the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40s I bought on closeout. It will likely get either a factory laminate or a Boyds stock to keep the cost within my budget. What I am having a difficult time deciding is caliber - Do I leave the .270 barrel on it?
At this time neither of us reload. Although I did get as far as buying the Rock Chucker master kit with Norma brass, Forster dies, etc for the 25-06, but I have not yet loaded anything... I do not foresee Will ever reloading.
Now that I have finished my book... May the advising begin :D

Sorry I had to filter out some noise, lets see if I got it right 2 guys fairly limited means want to start elk hunting. One has a rifle that he can't use, and feels it's better than the one his buddy has. Neither reloads.
Simplify the equation, and no reloading leaves out wildcats. Lots of factory ammo available for the rifle as a 270. Lots of other expenses going elk hunting.
I'd give him the rifle as is. Birthdays and Christmas come every year if you want to modify it. Sit down, review the rest of your combined gear, match it against the logistics involved in an elk hunt and spend your money there. I'd rather have good boots, and shelter suitable for the conditions and pack that 30-30 than be truck bound with a couple of sweet rifles, and I've never been known to be fond of a 30-30.

+1 ^

I've seen more than one savage that transferred an in ordinate amount of felt recoil. I have a Win Mod 70 - 270 that to is a light recoiling rifle, I also have a hand me down 7x57 Mauser 96 that kicks like the holly blazes of hell! My point is that it may just be that rifle. Since you could put 100rds a day through A 11lbs 25-06 lends me to believe your not as recoil intolerant as you might believe.

As for what makes a good elk rifle? The 1st and foremost answer, is the rifle that you shoot the best. That's not the only criteria, but in order to kill an elk you first have got to be able to put that bullet where it needs to go in order for it to it's job, and a rifle that hurts you decreases that likelihood.

your 270 will work alright but you need to be sure you shoot ELK BULLETS like 150 partitions, accubonds, 140 TSX etc. another option is find a factory take off in 30-06 or 300 win etc, and for very little money you can upgrade to a rifle that shoots a better suited bullet for elk. Anyway you go remember elk are hard to kill so shoot the heaviest bullet you can but be sure its a well constructed bullet.

... Anyway you go remember elk are hard to kill so shoot the heaviest bullet you can but be sure its a well constructed bullet.

Thats great advice from Tikkamike. Its a whole lot of work to track a wounded elk... If recoil is driver then you should strongly consider a muzzle brake

Thats great advice from Tikkamike. Its a whole lot of work to track a wounded elk... If recoil is driver then you should strongly consider a muzzle brake

I totally agree. A good muzzle brake will reduce your felt recoil by up to 50%. I just bought a Savage 16 in 325 WSM and it will have a muzzle brake before the very first shot.

Good advice from all. There's nothing wrong with hauling that .270win. just us a good bullet.

One thing that you may be overlooking is that the rifle may not fit you well. If its too long or short it will slap you around pretty quick. I can shoot a big bore all day if the rifle fits, one shot with a poor fit and its got me thinkin'.

My Wife took her First elk year before last with a 270 win shooting factory winchester 150 power point ammo. When she first got the rifle she would Fire two rounds and have a head ache and a flinch. We had to put a break on it for her and she loves that rifle now. Opening day of 2010 she got her first elk with a single shot threw the heart at 392yards. Her Uncle is my main hunting partner and has had a bad shoulder for years so he is super sensitive to recoil. He giggles every-time he shoots my 338 edge. 270 for elk? absolutely. About any cartridge out there with the right stock and brake can be managed. Good luck.

I am with the others, not to much the 270 won't do when used within your limits. Seems like a new stock would really help that rifle out alot. Other than that, mount your scope nice and low and it should be an easy recoiler. There are alot of others that would work, but the 270 will work fine for elk provided you steer it right. Good luck, you should be in for a great hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.