Cheap but accurate .408 platform

I would not go .408 unless you can get a 1-11" twist barrel, 1-13" is too slow to stabilize the 419gr Cheytac bullets. With currently available barrels and bullets .375 is definitely the way to go.gun)

Curious about this post. My rifle, and according to Cheytac's website all their 408 rifles, has a 1-13" twist. Why would they sell a bullet that won't work in their rifles?

I wondered the same thing. It must have something to do with their "balanced flight" design, but Bryan Litz has tested the bullet out of a 1-13" .408 and in his book he lists the minimum twist as 1-12.8", but recommended/optimal is 1-11.5". If I was building a rifle I would try to go 1-11" just to be on the safe side. The only bullets he tested that the 1-13" was at least recommended/optimal for were both of the Cutting edge offerings and the Cheytac 305gr.

I do have a Remington 700 BDL action that was off of my first 7mm mag hunting rifle. Would a Remington 700 action with the magnum bolt face be a good platform for something in a 338 chambering? I want to keep the cost down as low as posible on the build so that I can have the money left over for a good long range optic. Would the 338 Lapua or 375 CT be a good candidate for the 700 action or is the action to small? What would you all say about something like a 338 Remington Ultra Magnum that has been modified with the ackley improved shoulder? Would a 338 ultra mag AI be able to push a long VLD 338 caliber bullet out to 3000 yards and be accurate with the right barrel and components on a remington 700 magnum action?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.