Savage Rifles.??

I bought a new Savage 12fvss in 270 WSM a month ago. The first thing that I noticed was that there were machining marks all over the thing as if it were made in a high school trade shop. The forend touched the barrel on the left side and then I looked in the barrel. It was dark even after cleaning especially on the tops of the lands where a thread caught.

I shot it anyway and it was hard to open the bolt as the factory 150 gr Powerpoints were very hot averaging 3223 fps with .003" head expansion. I sent it back and have not heard from the dealer. On the other hand I have not checked with him either as I have better things to do. What a piece of crap.

Oh by the way. It shot 2 MOA!

Update: Since I sent the subject M12 back a good friend, who prompted me to try the Savages when he got a new #10 in .223 and it shot so well has now just bought another Savage 243 in a #12.

So my experiance seems to be isolated as Savage is working three shifts to satisfy demand.

[ 07-08-2003: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.