Marines getting another sniper rifle platform

Barret's got some big influence somewhere. Glad it's an American business but , yeah $16k seems steep.
I'm not a military guy or a sniper or anything like that. But from all of the accuracy testing and reports I've heard on Barrett rifles, whether military or civilian models, they didn't light the world on fire for accuracy. A .50 BMG I don't expect to shoot bugholes, but even some of their smaller caliber rifles don't seem worth the price tag. Again, I'm not a sniper or in the military, but it seems Barrett leans heavy on their name and not so much the precision of their "sniper" rifles.

I'm not a military guy or a sniper or anything like that. But from all of the accuracy testing and reports I've heard on Barrett rifles, whether military or civilian models, they didn't light the world on fire for accuracy. A .50 BMG I don't expect to shoot bugholes, but even some of their smaller caliber rifles don't seem worth the price tag. Again, I'm not a sniper or in the military, but it seems Barrett leans heavy on their name and not so much the precision of their "sniper" rifles.
Yeah, I got the same notion after reading some of their accuracy reviews over the years.

I know nothing about barrett, but I was a mechanic in the marines, and I honestly dont see a thing wrong with giving the Corps millions of dollars worth of new guns if they want them. We all go buy new guns just cuz we want them, let's extend the same courtesy to those young boys out there putting their lives on the line. $16k for a rifle is unimaginable for most of us, but when I was turning wrenches, I probably went through that in a week if not a day replacing worn out parts on helicopters. I once watched a guy back a tow tractor into a million dollar part. It's probably scary how many guys on here could tell a story about a mission they were on personally where U.S. Gov handed out crates full of weapons to foreign entities....
And everything costs more than it should when the government is involved that's just a fact of life until the leaders of the gov start trying to live on a budget and cut costs like the average American does.
But until they fix spending, I'd rather see millions going to buy the newest latest greatest fad rifle for Marines than somebody that salutes upside down

It's hard to keep up on modern products, seems like when you just purchased the greatest of something it immediately becomes outdated. Same goes for rifles,calibers and new mission focus. After products get into professional hands and into combat then the real testing occurs shortcomings and new requirements are identified. Glad to see they were honest among themselves and requested what they really required.

birdiemc
is it ok to give out crates of these after some "armorer" upgraded them with a punch set 👍
My son has been in for years this is just one photo he has sent of many.

He went overseas for a year I asked if he wanted his M14 he said once it leaves the country it cant come back.

Colt.US.ARMY-2017-09-16.jpg
Colt.US.ARMY-2017-09-16.jpg

If I were buying a sniper rifle it would be a Winchester Model 70 action, Timney trigger, Shilen 338 EDGE barrel. H-S precision stock with extended magazine bottom metal, Rail, Trigicon scope. Under $5k. But I am not a sniper.

I'm willing to bet it's a system, not just a rifle. If it's a switch barrel it'll come with different bolts or heads, barrels, and the optics in a kit. Could be it comes with standard optic, thermal or nv, and a weapon mounted lrf.

If it's a kit like I described it could easily be 16k.

I'm willing to bet it's a system, not just a rifle. If it's a switch barrel it'll come with different bolts or heads, barrels, and the optics in a kit. Could be it comes with standard optic, thermal or nv, and a weapon mounted lrf.

No doubt if all of that. If a Savage style lock nut is used, it is a quick barrel switch needing minimal tools and simple if you stay with a magnum action bolt face. BUT if you fill up a box with scopes, stocks, barrels, tools and such then $16k is a good deal price.

No doubt if all of that. If a Savage style lock nut is used, it is a quick barrel switch needing minimal tools and simple if you stay with a magnum action bolt face. BUT if you fill up a box with scopes, stocks, barrels, tools and such then $16k is a good deal price.
I didn't think about but the suppressor and other attachments would likely be in a pelican kit. I think the barrels are set up with a twist lock or something very simple that doesn't require any head spacing.

My switch barrel rifle set up would cost a person 7k retail without extra barrels. If I had 3 steel barrels it'd probably be 8k. Add a thermal for 6k, lrf is 2k?

It is a switch rifle comes with I believe three barrels in different calibers so it is a kit but 16 grand is still a lot

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.