Savage Rifles question

mobenzowner

I have owned three different Savage rifles over the years. They were all good shooters. Two were Weather Warriors and one was a model 10. I am currently thinking about purchasing a Savage in .243 and was wondering if the less expensive version's of Savage (excluding the Axis models) are normally as accurate as the Weather Warrior series, as I wont keep any rifle that wont better one moa in the accuracy department. Or is there normally better luck with the (and I hate to say this) "upper end" Savages, lol?

Kevin

I have owned three different Savage rifles over the years. They were all good shooters. Two were Weather Warriors and one was a model 10. I am currently thinking about purchasing a Savage in .243 and was wondering if the less expensive version's of Savage (excluding the Axis models) are normally as accurate as the Weather Warrior series, as I wont keep any rifle that wont better one moa in the accuracy department. Or is there normally better luck with the (and I hate to say this) "upper end" Savages, lol?

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes, per my personal experience. Others have similar experience to include the Axis.

My last Savage acquisition was a Savage 11 FNCS .300 WSM, $370 out the door. It shoots <1MOA with factory ammo at 200 yards and 1/2 MOA with handloads; all factory except for MB install. Harvested a MT muley buck at 425 yards last year as its first kill.

Cheers!

Ed

Kevin,

Yes, per my personal experience. Others have similar experience to include the Axis.

My last Savage acquisition was a Savage 11 FNCS .300 WSM, $370 out the door. It shoots <1MOA with factory ammo at 200 yards and 1/2 MOA with handloads; all factory except for MB install. Harvested a MT muley buck at 425 yards last year as its first kill.

Cheers!

Ed

Feenix,
To make sure I understand your correctly, your experience across the board with Savage is not much change in accuracy across the model line up? I'm just wanting an accurate beater rifle and can save $300 or so with the less expensive line up. I don't care if it's blued or stainless, etc, etc.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Kevin

I don't have an Axis or Ruger American, but if picking would pick the Ruger American over the Axis. The RAR has the 60 degree bolt through, a better rotary style mag and the RAR version of the Accutrigger seems to function better than the Savage Accutrigger. (You don't have to re-cock if the trigger is disturbed without pulling the trigger blade.) The RAR stock even has a V-Block bedding system that is supposed to work well.

The RAR certainly seems more popular than the Axis.

You don't need to spend the extra money. I have eight Savage rifles none of which are Wea. Warr. or Bench Rest or any of the "high dollar" models.
model10
110fp
12fv
fcp-sr
and four "poor-boy" customs built on Stevens 200 actions.
Every rifle shoots sub-MOA at 100 and200 and some shoot minute of prairie dog out to 400(if I hold still).
Find an "economy" model(not Axis), bed the action and float the barrel and develop
a load to do the job you want.
Years ago the older gentleman who started me reloading gave me this piece of advice:
Decide on the job you want done with this particular rifle
Develop a load to do that job
Shoot that load to the exclusion of all others.
This piece of advice is why I have so many rifles.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

I messed with my buddies 7mm 08 axis. Trigger spring mod and set action screw torque. Factory it shot MOA. Hand loads with 140 Bergers was .6. I used his brass, fl sized, threw in some 4350, and played around until it shot fine. I thought that was pretty good for a light set up and no real mods. Also, I didn't try different factory Ammo to see what it liked. It might have shot Hornady ammo really well, all my other stock savages liked Hornady

I messed with my buddies 7mm 08 axis. Trigger spring mod and set action screw torque. Factory it shot MOA. Hand loads with 140 Bergers was .6. I used his brass, fl sized, threw in some 4350, and played around until it shot fine. I thought that was pretty good for a light set up and no real mods. Also, I didn't try different factory Ammo to see what it liked. It might have shot Hornady ammo really well, all my other stock savages liked Hornady

I agree that .6 would be very good. Thanks for your insight

You are welcome. FYI, I didn't care much for the stock trigger so I modified the spring. It was much better after that. I like the accutrigger tho so I tend to look for deals on those if I can first. However, I got along just fine with the little axis.

My brother just bought a Sav. Axis 25/06 we hand loaded 117 gr Hornady round nose bullets for it to see what it would do. 1st 2 shots touching the 3 just outside the first two at 100 yards. Should be a one hole rifle when he puts a Boyds stock on it and fixes up the trigger.

Feenix,
To make sure I understand your correctly, your experience across the board with Savage is not much change in accuracy across the model line up? I'm just wanting an accurate beater rifle and can save $300 or so with the less expensive line up. I don't care if it's blued or stainless, etc, etc.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Kevin

Yes, all my Savage rifles are accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.