Elk Caliber?

I think the 28 nosler is off the table-- there is not a place that has anything in stock. I have found a few places that have 26 Nosler though-- thoughts?

Yes! Much, much, way better much than the Creedmoor 'for elk". ha Target shooting, won't last as long, of course, but will reach further, much flatter trajectory. "I" would use a Premium mono i.e Barnes, Hammer, NorthFork, or something like the Swifts, Partitions ,etc on elk. But many folks love those Bergers...I'm just too spooky/OCD about elk...I want to break them down (top of shoulder/spine). But again, that's just me. Go for it!

I think the 28 nosler is off the table-- there is not a place that has anything in stock. I have found a few places that have 26 Nosler though-- thoughts?

Last edited:

I think it's a bit light, plus look at what type of bullet selection you have. Then again, it all depends on the distance the animal is from you. But all considering, I'd think it was a bit light.

And you're still alive to tell the tale! How much reconstructive surgery? :D
I've got all my digits and extremities. My brain might be missing in action though.o_O Lol I would've asked the same thing if someone told me that they got that velocity until I tried rl-26. Rl-26 in hornady brass is some amazing stuff.

I think it's a bit light, plus look at what type of bullet selection you have. Then again, it all depends on the distance the animal is from you. But all considering, I'd think it was a bit light.

I have a different opinion having grown up in Elk country and I guess we can agree to disagree.

The .264 Winchester Magnum is an excellent elk rifle and the 26 Nosler is even a bit faster for the same weight bullet, so should do even better using a good bullet such as a nosler accubond or partition. I must confess I don't usually shoot farther than 500 yards.. but I believe both to be good to about 750/800 yards.

And yes, I know many who live in the west also agree that a .300 Winchester Mag is the gold standard for elk. Use what works best for you.

Many elk have been shot and killed with .243 and 6 mm Remingtons with 95 grain bullets as well as .25-06 with 110 to 117 grain and .270 using 130 grain bullets. We have shot steers in the head with a .22 pistol prior to butchering.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Great discussion here. This has been a good read for the last while. There has been a lot of good info passed back and forth and some really good personal experiences shared.
I think if you are worried about the 6.5 bullet going after an elk. Don't pick up another 6.5 cartridge. Go bigger. If a 140 bullet isn't enough from a Creed case, then it isn't enough from a 26 Nosler or any other for elk. I understand the ballistics and speed that come into play. But it is still the same bullet. You might have to sneak in a little closer, but that is the only difference.
My suggestion is this...
6.5x284 shooting a 140 Berger with a B.C. of .612 at 2950 fps
7mm Rem Mag shooting a 168 Berger with a B.C. of .617 at 2950 fps
Pretty comparable on paper but 28 grain heavier lead. I think that would work pretty well.
OR step up to the 30 cal options like others have suggested. It seems to me that there is a lot of concern with the smaller bullet. I personally wouldn't worry. The Creed will kill an elk. Just shoot straight and keep the distance within the rounds capabilities. I hunted elk and killed several with an old 25-06 and they were all just as dead as one shot with a 300 or 338. Just depends on where you place your shot.

I go on elk hunts every year and have seen a lot of them on the ground. I know it is very easy to overthink this topic. But my personal suggestion would be to pick a quality bullet..Get it shooting well from your Creed..Go hunt elk with it and have a blast doing so. You will be just fine shooting your rifle. I would rather see you go with it than pick up a big boomer that you are not comfortable with. Because it doesn't matter how much lead you throw at an elk if it doesn't hit its mark.

This is a great point...I snuck up on a bedded bull once only 30-40 yards away. I put 5 rounds in him before he fell down and he didn't flinch or move an inch. He just stood there looking at me and finally I could see the blood coming out of his mouth and his head slowly dropping and finally dropped dead. I was using 7mm 160 gr nosler partitions. I thought actually might have missed considering I'm zeroed 2 inches high at 200 yds but after field dressing I was able to find all entry holes.
That's one problem with the PT. They are designed for deep penetration and breaking hard bone but they punch a small hole. Not the bullet of choice for a heart/lung shot.

I really like that you brought that up. I grew up shooting guns-- my dads guns. He started my out on a 308 and then graduated me to a 300 win mag. I really enjoy shooting. He is taking his 300 win mag on the hunt and I was planning on taking my 300 wby (which was bought for that hunt). the recoil doesn't bother me much for the first 10 rounds. While trying to zero before i sent it back, I could get 1-1.5" groups at 200 yards. The rifle just shot 6-8 inches right. I fully agree that being comfortable with what you shoot is very important.
As much as I love my STW's knowing what I know today if I could only have one "Big Game Rifle" it would be a Model 70 in .300wm. There's just not much of anything you can't do with a good .300wm you can shoot well.

Fortunately the only way I'll ever be down to just one though is if Mario's kids talk me out of the rest.

I go on elk hunts every year and have seen a lot of them on the ground. I know it is very easy to overthink this topic. But my personal suggestion would be to pick a quality bullet..Get it shooting well from your Creed..Go hunt elk with it and have a blast doing so. You will be just fine shooting your rifle. I would rather see you go with it than pick up a big boomer that you are not comfortable with. Because it doesn't matter how much lead you throw at an elk if it doesn't hit its mark.

I ended up returning the weatherby for a refund because I got it back with no work done on it as it was "within their tolerances" or something like that! So I have no rifles at the moment and have to pick one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.